Game XP value

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Zero_1627

Game XP value

Post by Zero_1627 »

BGA awards XP points for playing games - including defaulted options like a number of victories.

I have general impression that points awarded are in relation to game weight (eg. games that take longer time to play are awarded more points), which seems sensible.

Now - Space station Phoenix seems medium-light game, with relatively quick playing time. Other games with similar weight/time (Carcassonne, Res Arcana, Stone Age...) award 23 XP for first victory (and scale up from that for other tiers - I assume scaling is defaulted).

Space Station Phoenix awards 45 points - which seems to be a lot for a game that isn't very heavy... I'd expect 23 points for this game.

In fact, Tzolk'in (rather heavyweight game, with appropriate game time as well) awards only 23 points too... (although Tzolk'in I'd _expect_ to award more actually, 45 or even more).
Kayvon

Re: Game XP value

Post by Kayvon »

I got 23 XP for my first SSP victory.
Zero_1627

Post by Zero_1627 »

Kayvon wrote: 12 October 2022, 15:16 I got 23 XP for my first SSP victory.
I definitely got 45... https://boardgamearena.com/achievements?id=85175031

Screenshot (in Polish but with icons ;) ):

...doesn't seem to work as image, adding as link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gj2vp1 ... sp=sharing
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

I believe you.

I'm wondering if you're underlying assumption of XP relating to game weight is actually correct.
Zero_1627

Post by Zero_1627 »

Kayvon wrote: 12 October 2022, 20:23 I believe you.

I'm wondering if you're underlying assumption of XP relating to game weight is actually correct.
it is only an assumption, yes. Another one was that it was fixed for a given game - which is disproved by You scoring different points for the same achievement...

Possible explanation is that appropriate setting was changed between You and me scoring the achievement.

EDIT: I have actually looked at Your achievements page. You have indeed scored 23 points for girst victory... but 90 for three victories. Which is consistent with my scoring, but NOT consistent with 23-point-entry achievement line. This supports the theory that You first scored before the change...
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

That makes sense. Odd that they would change its value without also changing the value for those who had already earned it. Kind of supports your original idea about it being based on weight. Wonder why they changed it.
Zero_1627

Post by Zero_1627 »

Space Station Phoenix has 60-120 minutes playing time written on the box, which is definitely largish. I just think it's too high :) - but estimating game time is not an exact science, and vastly depends on player.

I'd just put SSP closer to titles such as Carcassonne or Stone age (well, a bit longer/heavier, but not that much) rather than Tzolk'in (...which officially says 90 minutes...)
Zero_1627

Post by Zero_1627 »

I have reviewed SSP data in BGA - and it's listed as "complexity rating 4/5" - which is actually very high. I do not know whether complexity translates directly to XP... but it might :)
Zero_1627

Arena League XP value

Post by Zero_1627 »

What is Arena League value based on?
I have advanced to silver in SSP and got 8XP... In Bubblee Pop (much smaller and lighter game) it was worth 38XP, for comparision...

Bubblee Pop has far deeper league system, too (understandable as it's easy to play more games) - so I'd expect a league in larger game to be worth more, not less...

Return to “Space Station Phoenix”