Exploits/Cheats Need Fixing!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Mike_Crosley

Exploits/Cheats Need Fixing!

Post by Mike_Crosley »

There's an exploit/cheat where if players take their turn fast enough (and its not hard to do) they can prevent their opponent from playing two identical cards on their turn. This situation is exploited by unscrupulous players who claim "The game allows it, so I'm not cheating" but they are. If the game were being played in person, they couldn't do this.

As to how to fix it, you could have the player click the card(s) to play and then click a "Play" button for them to activate. Its a simple fix that prevents cheaters from cheating and makes for a much friendlier game.

And while we're at it, how about having a display of the points in the player's hand. I've asked other players and they agree they'd like this too. It makes a difference in strategy in late game between risking taking a card of playing one from your hand.

Finally, how about toggling off the floating help text? Its helpful only for your first few games and then its just in the way and obnoxious.

Thanks for listening!

Mike
twenty9oh7

Re: Exploits/Cheats Need Fixing!

Post by twenty9oh7 »

Mike_Crosley wrote: 22 November 2022, 04:35 There's an exploit/cheat where if players take their turn fast enough (and its not hard to do) they can prevent their opponent from playing two identical cards on their turn.
That's not a bug, it's a feature. https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=9706
cigma

Post by cigma »

twenty9oh7 wrote: 30 November 2022, 01:01 That's not a bug, it's a feature. https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=9706
I think this is the exact opposite of what Mike_Crosley was talking about. In the bug report people are complaining that "the wrong person" gets to play, not noticing that any player can play an identical card at any time.

Mike_Croley refers to not being allowed to do this: Playing the identical card at any time! He says: "...they can prevent their opponent from playing two identical cards on their turn."

I also had some problem with that: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19224
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
twenty9oh7

Post by twenty9oh7 »

Maybe I'm still confused, but you can only play one card at a time per the rules, so if you aren't fast enough, then you aren't fast enough...I can understand the point with calling "solo" in between playing two cards, but if they changed it to where you could lay down more than one card at a time (because they are identical) it would break the spirit of being fastest. As soon as you lay down the first card, it is no longer your turn and any plays after are out of turn. So by you and OP's logic, are you saying that if I only have three green 6 cards in my hand, I should be able to lay all 3 down at once and claim that I won?
cigma

Post by cigma »

twenty9oh7 wrote: 06 December 2022, 18:28 Maybe I'm still confused, but you can only play one card at a time per the rules, so if you aren't fast enough, then you aren't fast enough...I can understand the point with calling "solo" in between playing two cards, but if they changed it to where you could lay down more than one card at a time (because they are identical) it would break the spirit of being fastest. As soon as you lay down the first card, it is no longer your turn and any plays after are out of turn. So by you and OP's logic, are you saying that if I only have three green 6 cards in my hand, I should be able to lay all 3 down at once and claim that I won?
According to the rulebook:
"Discarding out of turn
If a player has exactly the same card in his hand as the card on top of the discard pile, he may put his card down immediately. It does not matter whether it is his turn or not. The player next to the discarder takes his turn next."
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
twenty9oh7

Post by twenty9oh7 »

cigma wrote: 06 December 2022, 20:23 According to the rulebook:
"Discarding out of turn
If a player has exactly the same card in his hand as the card on top of the discard pile, he may put his card down immediately. It does not matter whether it is his turn or not. The player next to the discarder takes his turn next."
That part of the rules is not what I'm debating. The rules define what the term "Discarding" is by stating:
"Each player can get rid of his cards in the following ways.
1. Discarding
When it’s your turn, you may put a suitable card on the discard
pile.

A suitable card is a card of the same colour, or the same value,
or the same action card symbol as the previously discarded
card."
Card is singular in both circumstances. Therefore you cannot lay down two cards at once since discarding is only ONE card at a time.

While my rhetorical scenario question isn't possible to happen (only two cards of each number per color), my point was to show that to win out by playing more than one card defeats the whole premise of the game where you have to call out "Solo" when only having one card. If you happen to have only two cards in your hand and they are identical, the rules again reiterate that you can't discard both at the same time:
"The first player to play his last card is the winner and the round is over"
So, if you play a green 6 and have a second one in your hand, you just have to be faster than the player next to you.
twenty9oh7

Post by twenty9oh7 »

@Mike_Crosley
@cigma

After the last message, I sent an inquiry to AMIGO to ask for a clarification on the rules so that a definite answer could be reached. Here is the email response I received:
From the folks in Germany:

“When you have the same number card as the topmost card of the discard pile, you are allowed to discard it. But you have to be faster than the next player. If you have multiple, you can do this multiple times.

In the current version 3.0 we changed the wording to mention only number cards, but the rules on bga are old and don’t even have a number.”

Corey Delmonto (He/Him)

Sales Director
AMIGO Games
I will reach back to them to clarify if you can play two cards at the same time and report back.
twenty9oh7

Post by twenty9oh7 »

Their final response on discarding two cards at the same time:
"You are allowed to play one card at a time but you can do multiple discards if you are quick enough ( of the number cards). From the English rules discarding is referred to playing “a card” and interjecting as “ that card’ which implies a single card ( outside of the rule for playing triples of the same number )"
Mike_Crosley

Post by Mike_Crosley »

twenty9oh7 wrote: 06 December 2022, 18:28 Maybe I'm still confused, but you can only play one card at a time per the rules, so if you aren't fast enough, then you aren't fast enough...I can understand the point with calling "solo" in between playing two cards, but if they changed it to where you could lay down more than one card at a time (because they are identical) it would break the spirit of being fastest. As soon as you lay down the first card, it is no longer your turn and any plays after are out of turn. So by you and OP's logic, are you saying that if I only have three green 6 cards in my hand, I should be able to lay all 3 down at once and claim that I won?
There's being "not fast enough" and then there's the other player sitting over a card and clicking it repeatedly so that before you can click your second card they've have ENDED YOUR TURN FOR YOU and has taken your turn away from you.

Look at it this way...if we were sitting at a table across from each other, I'd pick up two of my cards and play them at once. But because this game doesn't have a "Select your card(s) and then click Play" type of interface, you have to click fast and HOPE you don't have an opponent just trying to end your turn for you.
Mike_Crosley

Post by Mike_Crosley »

But this is not a SPEED play game. Its about knowing how to best play the cards in your hand, not how FAST can you play your cards. To check this, look at playing it across the table from someone. Are you slapping cards down in a timed race or are you playing your cards based on thought and strategy.

So your point of "if you aren't fast enough, then you aren't fast enough" has nothing to do with gameplay but is in defense of cheating and poor sportsmanship.

Return to “Solo”