Tournament module UPDATES: Group Stages

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
Traxdatxa

Re: Tournament module UPDATES: Group Stages

Post by Traxdatxa »

I did a tournament that way. There are some things don't like me. The sistem makes the differents stages too much separately, you can't feel you are playing a group stages, you feel like are playing a simple swiss. I think should be more conected. Also some players reported me they couldn't see anything in the tourney section when they were playing a simple match, they had difficulties to know if was a simple match or a match of the tourney.

Sorry about my English¡¡ :)
flolem

Post by flolem »

so... I was wondering what is the tie breaker for swiss system in stage 1.

Like in this tournament, there are multiple tie (only 4 of each groups qualified) and it seems random...
https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=103087
LSC

Post by LSC »

flolem wrote: 12 November 2021, 20:09 so... I was wondering what is the tie breaker for swiss system in stage 1.

Like in this tournament, there are multiple tie (only 4 of each groups qualified) and it seems random...
https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=103087
Which group seems random do you refer to?

I guess it use the same tie breakers as normal swiss system in BGA.

If you press the '+' button at the top right of the players' ranking table, you should able to expand it, and see two new columns call Opponent's point and Opponent's average. Opponent's point is the 1st tie breaker, it is basically Buchholz (it is widely used, see Tie-breaking in Swiss-system tournaments in Wiki if you don't know what it is) adapted to multiplayer games. Opponent's average is the 2nd tie breaker, it is the sum of ELO of your opponents (which is less common but you can still find it in the same wiki page).
Jaky Hostinec

Post by Jaky Hostinec »

Phase 2 hasn't started for this tournament:

https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=114614
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

LSC wrote: 05 June 2021, 04:08
Nereid wrote: 04 June 2021, 11:22As far as I can tell, the players are placed into the groups according to their ELO ratings at the start of the tournament. So for example, if you have 4 groups, the players #1,5,9,13,.... are put into group A, players #2,6,10,14,... in group B and so on.
If what you say are right, I prefer the players #1,8,9,16,.... are put into group A, players #2,7,10,15,... in group B, players #3,6,11,14,... in group C and players #4,5,12,13,... in group D. The strength of each group is more balance and it is more fair.
Anybody who agrees with the above, please vote for this bug report: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=73841

The system mentioned by LSC (called the serpentine system or snake system; Google it) is far preferable to the way groups are currently allocated.
LSC

Post by LSC »

Mathew5000 wrote: 15 October 2022, 08:39
LSC wrote: 05 June 2021, 04:08
Nereid wrote: 04 June 2021, 11:22As far as I can tell, the players are placed into the groups according to their ELO ratings at the start of the tournament. So for example, if you have 4 groups, the players #1,5,9,13,.... are put into group A, players #2,6,10,14,... in group B and so on.
If what you say are right, I prefer the players #1,8,9,16,.... are put into group A, players #2,7,10,15,... in group B, players #3,6,11,14,... in group C and players #4,5,12,13,... in group D. The strength of each group is more balance and it is more fair.
Anybody who agrees with the above, please vote for this bug report: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=73841

The system mentioned by LSC (called the serpentine system or snake system; Google it) is far preferable to the way groups are currently allocated.
Agree! voted.
permudo

Post by permudo »

Hi!

I dont know if this is the correct thread, but I want to make one question about Group Stages Torunaments.

Does anyone know why you can't set up a Group Stage + Elimination tournament (for example) with just 1 group in group stages.

This option could be interesting when there are only a few players. For example I want to make just 1 group of 10 players playing swiss system and after that, top 4 players playing elimination.

There are technical limitation so this is impossible to achieve?

Thanks in advance.
NCFCRulz

Post by NCFCRulz »

Because they haven't bothered to update tournaments for best part of 2 years. They would rather constantly tinker with the lobby that ultimately no one cares about

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”