Getting in game against preferences

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Fiery_ape

Getting in game against preferences

Post by Fiery_ape »

So this happened to me. I started a game of Memoir '44. I have chose that I don't ever want to play scenario Pegasus bridge, but now that's what I'm stuck with. Does this happen often and in other games as well? I'm kinda new to this site so I don't have much experience. Sick and tired of that scenario though.
Jellby

Re: Getting in game against preferences

Post by Jellby »

You're not playing Pegasus Bridge, you're playing [Random]... which happened to randomly select Pegasus Bridge. If you could avoid some scenarios from random selection, it wouldn't be random.
Fiery_ape

Post by Fiery_ape »

Ok, I have then misunderstood that setting. I thought that it would pick a scenario from all of those that I and my opponent want to play.
Fiery_ape

Post by Fiery_ape »

So I chose that I never want to play random again and in my next game I got Sainte-Mere-Eglise which is second scenario after Pegasus bridge. Did I just happened to get it or am I only gonna get it every time because random and Pegasus bridge are off and it's the next one possible?
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

I guess you're using automatic table mode. You'll just join whatever table other people create that matches your settings. I presume it's not unlikely that the most common non-random settings will be the earlier scenarios.

Or, if no other table are created, maybe your automatic setting creates one table per scenario and other people who are waiting for any table just choose the first one created, which could possibly be the first of your allowed scenarios.
Fiery_ape

Post by Fiery_ape »

Thanks for the answers. Makes sense but on the other hand the system doesn't make much sense.

If I understand correctly keeping random option "on" still forces me to play the scenarios that I don't want to. And switching it "off" potentially forces me to play couple of the first scenarios over and over again.

It would be so much better if you could just completely block few scenarios and randomly play the rest. I mean it's still random, just your options have lowered from maybe 40 to 35. Numbers are just for example, I don't know how many scenarios there are to play with.

I've no idea if it's something that even can be done, but I would just prefer it that way.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

That would be a matter to bring up in the Memoir 44 forum (https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=559) and/or feature suggestion (https://boardgamearena.com/bugs?game=1560).

While it "makes sense" to veto some scenarios from a random choice, it also lends itself to abuse (you could veto every scenario but one, and people could think they're playing a random scenario against you, but it's still only your favourite scenario over and over). The problem here is that the scenario is a table setting and you can't have a "random" table setting, it must be set to something when you open the table. You could also add a BGA feature request for that (https://boardgamearena.com/bugs?game=0). A possible alternative could be having a pseudo-random (but agreed by both players) scenario selection once the game "starts", but perhaps before assigning sides. But again, that's Memoir 44 specific.
Fiery_ape

Post by Fiery_ape »

Should be possible to set a limit how many scenarios one could put in the "off-list" so that no foul play wouldn't occur. I might have to make a suggestion. Thanks for the link.

Last three games that I have played have all been scenarios that I've marked as "don't ever want to play". I've seven "don't ever want to play" scenarios and all because BGA keeps giving me them over and over again. I've played 42 games and I'll bet over half have been those seven. Doesn't even feel very random.
jesslc

Post by jesslc »

I'm not familiar with the table options for Memoir 44 specifically but have you considered using manual mode rather than automatic mode to join tables? You get way more control over the settings in manual mode so personally I find it much better.
Fiery_ape

Post by Fiery_ape »

Yes I actually have started to pick lesser played scenarios so I don't have to play those that I've played bunch of times already.

Return to “Discussions”