Kicking players out of games

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
voriki

Re: Kicking players out of games

Post by voriki »

stefko007 wrote: 21 November 2022, 09:09 However, I personally don't kick players as long as I see there is actually a chance we might finish the game. On the other hand, if I see the game is going to be abandoned, I kick the player in the first nanosecond of the first millisecond of the clock turning negative. Why? Because he is wasting my time.
Same here, I evaluate the player. It takes only a couple of seconds, and you're waiting anyways, so what.
I go to their player page, check whether it's rare occurence, or regular. Are they active players in general, or new accounts, have I played them before, etc...all information that can be spotted in seconds, heck, even premium members get extra "bonus points" as it shows their commitment to the games on the site.
Fuddly

Post by Fuddly »

However, I personally don't kick players as long as I see there is actually a chance we might finish the game.
Apparently, a player can still be kicked from the game and rejoin. You Still lose the game, but you are at least able to finish...Funny thing.
I personally don't kick players
Does this hold true while playing in a Tournament, or maybe while you're in a losing state of mind (how bad are you losing)? How is it some players get a grace period of 20 sec before being kicked out? I've run one millisecond over my time, and I'm booted from the game. When I'm waiting on a player (message, wait at least 2 min), no response, I hit the button. It then gives em another 20 seconds (grace period) before I'm allowed to give em the boot.

I have my game on mute, so I'm never aware when the clock is running behind. It never really bothers me (just a game) when somebody boots me from a game (well it must bother me a bit, because I will usually put them on ignore). I have found that some players will boot you immediately, while telling you to never boot a player who is running behind on the Clock. :?

I've since turned on my volume. Only thing now - When I hear the clock, it is like panic mode...hurts my game more than running out of time. If only I could set the warning signal to go off at a particular time. I also noticed; the clock keeps running while a player's turn is being processed. So even if you hit the button, you've run in the Red without even knowing it...now you know. But I don't think Opponent has the option giving you the boot once the confirm (end turn) button is hit.
Last edited by Fuddly on 24 November 2022, 21:34, edited 2 times in total.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Fuddly wrote: 24 November 2022, 20:34How is it, some players get a grace period of 20 sec before being kicked out? I've run one millisecond over my time, and I'm booted from the game.
Is it the first time you've timed out that game? There was a change implemented in which each timeout reduced the waiting period (to avoid an exploit in games with an undo feature), but I do not remember the precise details.
Fuddly wrote: 24 November 2022, 20:34 I've since turned on my volume. Only thing now - When I hear the clock, it is like panic mode...hurts my game more than running out of time.
The alert sound for running out of time is customizable. You can change it to something less jarring to your ears.
Fuddly

Post by Fuddly »

The alert sound for running out of time is customizable. You can change it to something less jarring to your ears.
Oh, thanks, this might help. This is a learning experience for me...anything might help. When Does the Panic chime go off? Is it once Five seconds hits the clock? Is it possible for me to set the warning timer to go off with 25 seconds still remaining on the clock?
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Fuddly wrote: 24 November 2022, 21:30When Does the Panic chime go off? Is it once Five seconds hits the clock? Is it possible for me to set the warning timer to go off with 25 seconds still remaining on the clock?
It goes off with around under 20 seconds left on your clock (based on memory). It's not triggered by the other players or configurable by you. Of course, if you take so long on your previous turn that you still have under 20 seconds even after time is added back to your clock, it will go off immediately when it's your turn again.
frogstar_A

Post by frogstar_A »

hertelwulf wrote: 20 November 2022, 20:17 . Can we please please please do something against that. I mean, this behaviour really destroys gaming on the platform. Like it literally destroys it (unlike me writing a word like "*" from line 3).
It really does NOT destroy gaming.

If you join a game with 2 minutes per turn you need to take your turn in 2 minutes. If you don't like that then play turn based or with a longer time limit.

I only have limited time for gaming in my busy days and I don't want to waste it waiting for people whose clock has run out to move
stefko007

Post by stefko007 »

Fuddly wrote: 24 November 2022, 20:34 Does this hold true while playing in a Tournament, or maybe while you're in a losing state of mind (how bad are you losing)?
I wouldn't care to kick somebody to win. To me that's worth around as much as closing my eyes and imagining I won. I play on BGA because I have a PC job, I work from home and I need to refocus during the day. If I win or loose not as important as the change of mindset .. that's why timeouters angry me so much ..
Fuddly

Post by Fuddly »

I wouldn't care to kick somebody to win.
Still, no reason to offer a Cease fire (abandon game collectively)
not as important as the change of mindset
Absolutely.
why timeouters angry me so much
Anger makes for better opponents, right?
stefko007

Post by stefko007 »

Fuddly wrote: 26 November 2022, 09:52
why timeouters angry me so much
Anger makes for better opponents, right?
Correct :) I oppose timeouts with my timezone based fast tournament group: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=12798722
Fuddly

Post by Fuddly »

I oppose timeouts with my timezone based fast tournament group
Play the Man Sir stefko, play the man!

Return to “Discussions”