Arena Points

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Wiking44

Arena Points

Post by Wiking44 »

I just played an Arena game and won the match and noticed I got ZERO Arena points because the player had a lower ELO than I have, I mean you should gain at least 1 point for winning the game and makes me think how many points would I have lost if I lost the match 4-6 points!
I think that the winner no matter the other players ELO should get at least 1 point
Tisaac

Re: Arena Points

Post by Tisaac »

Wiking44 wrote: 30 November 2022, 02:48 I just played an Arena game and won the match and noticed I got ZERO Arena points because the player had a lower ELO than I have, I mean you should gain at least 1 point for winning the game and makes me think how many points would I have lost if I lost the match 4-6 points!
I think that the winner no matter the other players ELO should get at least 1 point
Please read the FAQ about arena points, this is not how it works.
Wiking44

Post by Wiking44 »

Tisaac wrote: 30 November 2022, 09:08
Wiking44 wrote: 30 November 2022, 02:48 I just played an Arena game and won the match and noticed I got ZERO Arena points because the player had a lower ELO than I have, I mean you should gain at least 1 point for winning the game and makes me think how many points would I have lost if I lost the match 4-6 points!
Ok so if I understand this correctly a player who is in Platinum will gain Zero points for beating an opponent that is in the Bronze
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Wiking44 wrote: 30 November 2022, 13:49
Tisaac wrote: 30 November 2022, 09:08
Ok so if I understand this correctly a player who is in Platinum will gain Zero points for beating an opponent that is in the Bronze
Yes and no, you always gain EAS that works like ELO (but is hidden until your reach final ligue), you are just not progressing in the ligue climbing mechanism.
MagnusNygaard

Post by MagnusNygaard »

Hi Tisaac - where is the FAQ for the Arena rules?
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

MagnusNygaard wrote: 01 December 2022, 21:52 Hi Tisaac - where is the FAQ for the Arena rules?
https://boardgamearena.com/faq > Arena section
MagnusNygaard

Post by MagnusNygaard »

Tisaac wrote: 02 December 2022, 13:55
MagnusNygaard wrote: 01 December 2022, 21:52 Hi Tisaac - where is the FAQ for the Arena rules?
Thanks.

Hm... I'm curious why it's not possible to refuse a game that will gain you 0 points? I mean, it's just a waste of time in the best of times and a loss of all of your advances at worst.
Wiking44

Post by Wiking44 »

MagnusNygaard wrote: 04 December 2022, 00:41
Tisaac wrote: 02 December 2022, 13:55
Thanks.

Hm... I'm curious why it's not possible to refuse a game that will gain you 0 points? I mean, it's just a waste of time in the best of times and a loss of all of your advances at worst.
I was thinking the same..
I gain nothing playing a Bronze level player but risk losing 4-5 points..
RiverWanderer

Post by RiverWanderer »

Something to consider;

there are just 106 M44 Arena players above bronze at the moment. Hopefully this will grow over time.
However, at the other extreme - Ticket To Ride - also released new this season - already has 1207 elite players.

My point is that if you play TTR, BGA will much more often be able to match you with a player in a similar points range.
MagnusNygaard

Post by MagnusNygaard »

RiverWanderer wrote: 04 December 2022, 01:24 Something to consider;

there are just 106 M44 Arena players above bronze at the moment. Hopefully this will grow over time.
However, at the other extreme - Ticket To Ride - also released new this season - already has 1207 elite players.

My point is that if you play TTR, BGA will much more often be able to match you with a player in a similar points range.
Oh, I do get that there's the problem of actually having enough players within your level, I imagine it's the same for any new or small game.
But the problem is that you can't refuse a game that is literally just a no-win situation for you. That seems counter to the idea of ARENA giving some extra incentive to play on BGA.
If anything, as soon as I arrived at Platinum, had I been smart, I should have stopped playing. Because every time I've been at seven or eight points, I've been paired with a super strong bronze player (many of whom have come over from Days of Wonder, and have thousands of games under their wings) to lose it all again.

All I'm asking is why it's not possible to skip a match before it begins - as you can in normal play. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Return to “Memoir 44”