Combat Commander or tide of Iron Pls... memoir is so random and no Strategy

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
ThrakaAndy

Combat Commander or tide of Iron Pls... memoir is so random and no Strategy

Post by ThrakaAndy »

I would have loved to see more strategic war games released instead of this. The only way I play Memoir at home is with house rules that favor tactics and strategy over pure randomness.
KeLian05

Re: Combat Commander or tide of Iron Pls... memoir is so random and no Strategy

Post by KeLian05 »

Add expansions. Play fanmade scenarios.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

ThrakaAndy wrote: 01 December 2022, 08:48 I would have loved to see more strategic war games released instead of this. The only way I play Memoir at home is with house rules that favor tactics and strategy over pure randomness.
Go ahead and developp them yourself if you want to see them on BGA.
ThrakaAndy

Post by ThrakaAndy »

I didn't realize these were made by the general public.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

ThrakaAndy wrote: 01 December 2022, 16:32 I didn't realize these were made by the general public.
They are. And you also need a license approval from whoever owns the digital rights first before starting to developp the game.
i0anes

Post by i0anes »

Memory 44 has existed for fifteen years, played by enthusiasts, and even released by soldiers during international meetings (just last week).

I doubt that a game of pure chance could have such a life 😬
Dree

Post by Dree »

ThrakaAndy wrote: 01 December 2022, 08:48 The only way I play Memoir at home is with house rules that favor tactics and strategy over pure randomness.

Have you seen the Stategy Guide to Memoir? There's more in it than you think. https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/e ... ons/guide/

On the bottom of that page are some of its chapters, free to download. It's fun read and might pepper your fun in Memoir a bit
Lunalol

Post by Lunalol »

ThrakaAndy wrote: 01 December 2022, 08:48 I would have loved to see more strategic war games released instead of this.
They exist, but you don't play at them :ugeek:
MagnusNygaard

Post by MagnusNygaard »

ThrakaAndy wrote: 01 December 2022, 08:48 I would have loved to see more strategic war games released instead of this. The only way I play Memoir at home is with house rules that favor tactics and strategy over pure randomness.
Unlike real war, where nothing is random?
I actually think that the mechanics of Command & Colors are very good at simulating the things that are truly random in most wars: getting information to the right forces at the right time (the card game), the battlefield conditions compared to the available forces (terrain and unit positions), and actually doing the expected damage to the opponent (the dice).
I agree that some scenarios have been made so that you can feel completely helpless if you get the wrong starting hand, or one unlucky die roll, but that's a strike against the scenario setup, not the game mechanics in themselves. They are, in my oppinion, much better at simulating the chaos of real war than many of the highly detailed game systems out there.

Any way, my 0.02 DKK
CesareRaf

Post by CesareRaf »

Lunalol wrote: 02 December 2022, 01:14
ThrakaAndy wrote: 01 December 2022, 08:48 I would have loved to see more strategic war games released instead of this.
They exist, but you don't play at them :ugeek:
Do they? Can you suggest them to me? But not mentioning "Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe", for which there aren't players in real-time.

Return to “Memoir 44”