Let's translate Just One's Tutorial!

BGA localization discussions
Mine Hawk

Let's translate Just One's Tutorial!

Post by Mine Hawk »

Otherwise it's not playable.
ufm

Re: Let's translate Just One's Tutorial!

Post by ufm »

To elaborate, word examples themselves ('baggage', 'travel', etc.) should not be translated as the game is played in English during the tutorial.
However, actually most translators translated those words ignoring the context.
aghagh

Post by aghagh »

What I did was the following.

English original text (example):
I think that people will write things like wooden, desk, dining or chair.
My translation:
Creo que los jugadores escribirán cosas como 'wooden' [de madera], 'desk' [escritorio], 'dining' [de comedor] o 'chair' [silla].
So I kept the words in English (in quotes) because that's what will be displayed on the screen, but adding the Spanish translations (in brackets).
Last edited by aghagh on 28 November 2022, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
Nastaa

Post by Nastaa »

Good point: to keep the words in English as they appear in the replay & include the translation so that all users can understand the meaning. Also the case for probably all games with a language dependency (basically when the language is in the table settings). At least I noticed the same in the translation of the tutorials for Haiclue and Pingimus.

In addition, for some games there are some elements (eg. cards in Wingspan or Solar Storm) that appear in English but are translated if you hover on the element. What you think is the best practice for tutorial translation in these cases? Do you add sometimes a translation note?
ufm

Post by ufm »

I don't add notes while translating tootips on cards with English texts (and I'm also the maintenance dev of Solar Storm).
Just fully translate it unless it has language dependent elements.
Nastaa

Post by Nastaa »

Oh no, I did not mean to change tooltips. I was thinking more for the translation of the tutorial would you rather:
1) have systematically the name of cards in English & in the target language every time a card is mentionned
2) have the name of cards in English only, and at first occurrence add a note explaining how to see the name of cards in the target language

Or something else?

Return to “Translations”