Give away deal from losing player

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
HAL 9OOO

Give away deal from losing player

Post by HAL 9OOO »

Hello Catan players,

At the end of a 4 players' game of Catan, I and two others players where almost to the point of having 10 points when the 4th player (who was certain to be in 4 place) make an strange deal. He proposed 7 of his ressources (almost all that he had) in echange for 1 wool. One of the other player took the deal and win the game two turn later. What I found strange was that amongst the ressources that he gave were enough for him to get the wool through maritime trade. He did nothing after the trade only pass his turn.

When I confronted the player to try to understand his action, his responses were close to trolling. I looked at the record if the two player and I do not think they were engage in kingmaking.

I would like to know if other players have experience this kind of "give away deal" and if it is against BGA terms. I found that it not fair play to play like a fool just because you cannot win and therefore give avantage to another player without reason.

What do you think ?
el cosimo

Re: Give away deal from losing player

Post by el cosimo »

Yeah sometimes happen. Disadvantage of online gaming. Always people that don’t care anything when they are on loosing side.

Don’t know how you can prevent this. Because trade 1 good for 1 good can also be weird at end of game (if you know the person only need one stone as example to finish).
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

It sounds like they were trolling, and you might want to mark them with a thumbs down as a player that other players should avoid.
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

I've seen it lots of times on another site, and I've even done it myself where one player was spitefully applying the robber to me every go despite me being in last place with 2VP when everyone else was near to winning. No exaggeration, I robbed them once at the start of the game and they declared every robber would go on me, and that's what they did. All 7s and a string of knights. If people play nasty expect others to retaliate as best they can. It is a part of the game that people can trade, and do so spitefully, and to your disadvantage. It's not very sporting but it is within the rules.
RyanTH

Post by RyanTH »

MrBeardy wrote: 20 October 2022, 16:58 I've even done it myself where one player was spitefully applying the robber to me every go despite me being in last place with 2VP when everyone else was near to winning.
Ha! I did it once too for almost identical reasons. Dude just would not stop robbing me. Even when I was way out of the game. Even when it was obvious I didn't even have anything he wanted. Wow did he rage when my spite cost him the game. 10/10 would do again.

But I can't think of any other circumstances it can be remotely acceptable.
IImi3

Post by IImi3 »

The 4th player was a sour looser and winning player did not win honorable, he's got points though. In case like that all players should refuse the offer in order to preserve the game. BGA should review this kind of reports and penalize the player who offered such a deal and adjust the points of that game
Stroom

Post by Stroom »

And also penalize the player for accepting such an offer, right?

Return to “Catan”