44 seconds is WAY to much time to add to the clock per move on a FAST game

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
SluggerBaloney

44 seconds is WAY to much time to add to the clock per move on a FAST game

Post by SluggerBaloney »

Deleted
Last edited by SluggerBaloney on 12 January 2024, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
SvladTheImpala

Re: 44 seconds is WAY to much time to add to the clock per move on a FAST game

Post by SvladTheImpala »

It is a bit too substantial, but people don't generally act 'malicious'[ly]. Nobody wants to waste their time. Clock duration could be decreased, certainly for the Fast version.
pjt33

Post by pjt33 »

On a complicated turn you can have several decisions to make which couldn't have been pre-decided because you didn't have the information required until part-way through the turn. E.g. if you're drawing and discarding a lot of cards while trying to calculate the food you'll be able to get and maximise the points from three bonus cards then 45 seconds is rather short.

Looking at my recent game history, even on normal time there are a lot of games where players took an average of only about 15 minutes each. On the longer games it's typically an average of about 20 or 21 minutes, which (if suitably distributed) wouldn't quite get a time penalty on fast speed, but cuts it fine. The fastest games I've played are 39 or 40 minutes for three players.

Your proposal of +20 seconds/turn would give each player about 10 minutes' total time, which is simply insufficient. Wingspan is a strategic game which requires some time for analysis: if that's not the kind of game you want to play, Wingspan isn't for you.
paramesis

Post by paramesis »

As noted in the framework documentation, once the game has been released, the time profiles are adjusted automatically based on how much time players are actually spending on their turns. Developers do not have control over them at this point. The initial profiles I had defined were actually 30 seconds per turn for a fast game, and the framework has determined based on a very large wealth of data that 30 seconds wasn't enough time.

Please remember that players have the right to use however much thinking time they have available on their clock. It is not malicious for a player to make use of the time to which they are entitled. If you cannot bring yourself to engage the player community at large on BGA in a socially constructive (or at least neutral) way with the time settings that the framework has determined are appropriate, I would suggest either finding or organizing a group of like-minded players using the features under the Community tab, or playing against AI players on the Monster Couch app.
CloroxKid

Post by CloroxKid »

absolutely. Seeing some players take aver 10 minutes longer on a game (and lose). Arena is painful with how much time it adds on--feels like the clock completely refills after a turn.
detlefchef11

Post by detlefchef11 »

I would imagine, that in the vast majority of games, people play as quickly as they reasonably can. EVERY rt game I've played (which, admittedly is a relatively small sample size), this has been the case. People generally play as soon as they can, and if it's a simple move or one that nothing changed that required them to rethink, it's over and done in a matter of seconds.

However, they need to build in enough time so you have a cushion if something comes up, which seems reasonable. Maybe you need to answer the door, or your wife comes in with a question. Or, maybe, something just happened in the game that caused you to completely rethink what you were going to do.

What you're suggesting minimizes the enjoyment and playability for a lot of people because you've found a handful of people who "drag on", when "dragging on" means using an additional 25 seconds per turn.
TsPeacock

Post by TsPeacock »

It's ridiculous that time is added to the clock. Fast mode is already too slow as it is.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

CloroxKid wrote: 28 November 2023, 00:42 absolutely. Seeing some players take aver 10 minutes longer on a game (and lose). Arena is painful with how much time it adds on--feels like the clock completely refills after a turn.
It would be nice if there was a setting to have shorter per-turn times but a larger time bank. For example, 22 seconds added per turn, to a maximum of 9 minutes (with 9 minutes allocated at the start). That would suit players who mostly act quickly but occasionally need time to think.

A change like the one I'm suggesting could not be made on a game by game basis, I believe, but would have to apply sitewide. What I am suggesting is a fourth real-time "game speed" setting. Many people have already suggested turbo as a fourth speed setting (for example, https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=33960 ) but what I am proposing is slightly different: turbo-with-a-big-cushion.
TsPeacock

Post by TsPeacock »

People should be planning their next move while it's the other person's turn instead of multitasking other things.

Return to “Wingspan”