Boring tournaments...

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Downbylaw

Boring tournaments...

Post by Downbylaw »

Howdy

I love playing in tournaments and when I saw that there were ultra-regular ones for JvH, I was stoked. It's not about winning, but being able to improve.

However, I've just played my last one on BGA. Why? Skill level. The tournaments are open to everyone and there are a few players who are completely dominating (700+ rating for one, and 500+ for the other) which mean that you'll lose every time you play against them. If you meet them in the first round? you're out. If not, you may have a chance, but so far, no go. They're like end-of-game bosses and, well, odds are strong that you'll lose against them.

Wondering why they are allowed in a tournament since other tournaments do limit skill levels to make as good an experience for everyone. I also wonder why they participate in the first place, since they are so dominant.

Well, it was fun, but tired of this...
RicardoRix

Re: Boring tournaments...

Post by RicardoRix »

If they can do it, then so can you. They're just human. Learn the ways of the force. Unless it's like chess, it's likely to be easier to master or at least get pretty good for most people that want to try.
Watch replays, use notes, strive to improve every game. Study your losses. If you lose and you made no mistakes, then you've hit your target - you can blame your luck rather than yourself.

They're playing for the same reason as you - for the competition.
Downbylaw

Post by Downbylaw »

Sure, I could do that, but i play for fun, not to study for an exam.

Or, if they want more players to get into this great game, they could make tournaments that are friendlier. Like in a chess tournament, ratings are used to pair up people, it's not a free for all.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Tournaments are generally for competition. So it sounds like they are not for you.
You can set up rating specific tournaments, but they will still be competitive. For less popular games it's likely that they won't fill. But you can always try.

It's not like it's studying for an exam, and if you don't try, then how do you expect to improve?
Downbylaw

Post by Downbylaw »

I enjoy tournaments, but when i have a chance. Not sure what you're not understanding about that?

If i play chess against a grand master and he destroys me every game, I will not learn. I'll get frustrated and won't play again.
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

There are several games with tournaments where ability is capped. Why not start your own for JVH?
Downbylaw

Post by Downbylaw »

I did a few hours ago, but I'm not sure how to reach JVH players...

https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=181454
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Downbylaw wrote: 08 December 2022, 03:41 I enjoy tournaments, but when i have a chance. Not sure what you're not understanding about that?

If i play chess against a grand master and he destroys me every game, I will not learn. I'll get frustrated and won't play again.
But this game is not like chess. It's not nearly as complicated. Anything a 'Master' does you should be able to figure out why they did that. The better the player, the more optimised their play, and so it's not random, it's based on logic. And you can always figure out logic. So I'd say you can potentially learn more even if it's less fun.
But yes, fun is very important, and playing against players your own ability is the right thing to do. But you must try and figure stuff out along the way, no matter who you play, otherwise you won't improve.
Baptlens

Post by Baptlens »

Donc on doit ouvrir les tournois qu’au joueur avec moins de 500 points ? Dans ce cas celui avec 480 gagnera également 9/10. Tu as 39 parties il est normal que tu rencontres quelques difficultés. Et puis désolé mais j’ai déjà perdu contre des joueurs avec un score équivalent à ton score. Et pour finir comme on te l’a déjà fait remarquer, c’est une compétition si tu n’es pas satisfait du niveau des adversaires va t’entraîner en partie classique et tu reviens quand tu estimes avoir le niveau, dans toutes les compétitions tu as des écarts de niveau, tu as souvent les mêmes en tête de classement et pourtant il y a toujours des surprises ( et il y en as déjà eu au tournoi jekyll)

Return to “Jekyll vs. Hyde”