Highest points inspite of win

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
dheeba02

Highest points inspite of win

Post by dheeba02 »

WHenever i win i do not get more than 25 points. But I have seen people getting more than 81 points when they win ? Hows that?

Also when I am 8 points and other player 8 points, even though i have more resources , cities and remaining time, the other player gets +5 and I used to get -5 like that -- WHy is that?
Romain672

Re: Highest points inspite of win

Post by Romain672 »

Only the final rank of the game count.
You have the usual elo system: more your opponent have elo, and more you will gain elo if you win, and less you will lose elo if you lose.

And you have a k-factor which multiply your points win or loss if you are in your first few games.

And on this game: https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=325886515
You finished second with another player (same points, same tiebreaker).

All k-factor were 20, except the winner which is new to the game, and got a k-factor of 40, his points gained or losed was doubled. He win and gain about +25 against each opponent (+13 * 2).
About yourself, you lose against cvn, and lost 15 elo. You win against pottle and win 8 elo (way less because his elo was way higher: 0 vs 100). And you tied against another player with 100 elo. Since you was expected to win more than him on average you lost 2 elo against him (which is few).
(-15) + (8) + (-2) = -9

And you get -6 elo this game which is very weird. I have no idea why there is a big difference between -6 and -9 that look like a bug? At least on the display.
But I hope you get the idea though.
Last edited by Romain672 on 12 December 2022, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
sorryimlikethis

Re: Highest points inspite of win

Post by sorryimlikethis »

It is how the ELO system works for all board games on Board Game Arena, not only Catan.

In your first 21 games your ELO will move both up and down with a higher variance. This is designed to get you to your "proper" rank faster.
From your 22nd game to your 1 millionth game you'll see consistent gains and losses.

The amount you gain or lose is based on the ELO of your opponents. If you tie for 2nd and lose ELO it's because your ELO is greater than your opponents'. The person who tied for 2nd and gained ELO will be lower rated and therefore rewarded for tying with a stronger player.

Return to “Catan”