Worst mean of cards

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
GMT1

Worst mean of cards

Post by GMT1 »

Today I lost a game with a mean of cards at 64.87... I tried my best but it really was impossible to manage.
https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=267035612
Have you ever had a similar situation ?
Cheers!
Wreckage

Re: Worst mean of cards

Post by Wreckage »

My advice is to learn to play "pro" variant, where cards may go left or right. It's, of course, still possible to get bad cards, but it's much more about how you play them, and much less about simply having worse cards.

In normal, everyone plays on the same row, nearly every turn. You can easily see where all 5 cards will go as you play your cards from biggest to smallest, and if this pattern looks like it wont be good for you, then you may choose to play low, possibly dividing the cards so they fall on two rows.

Some cards are simply worse than others, in normal mode. For instance, having the highest card is clearly a disadvantage at the start. Having the "1" means you will take at least a point because it was unluckily dealt to you. If you have many low cards, you must take several rows, hopefully cheaply, but you must take them.

Pro, on the other hand offers much more flexibility, and having a good or bad hand depends much more on how you choose to play them. If you have the highest card, you don't have to play it first, it's okay. In fact playing on the low end of that same highest row can set things up so that you now have the best cards at the table. You can ignore the highest row completely and start setting up other rows right from the first turn.

On your game, I only watched the first 3 turns. After the third turn, your hand is in distress with a 71 on the end of a row, and most of your cards are 72+. In pro, you could have played your 72 under the top row on the second turn, making every card under 72 dangerous, instead of every card above it dangerous like it was in your game.

The very fact that players may choose any row to play on, versus everyone playing on the same row every turn, suggest nearly 4X the strategy, especially since playing cards to the left is a much richer learning curve.
Last edited by Wreckage on 15 May 2022, 02:56, edited 3 times in total.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

+1 to pro mode. It is so much more fun in my opinion.
sgraney

Post by sgraney »

I've had averages in the 70s and averages in the 30s. Both make it very difficult. But the biggest challenge is when you are different from everyone else. It doesn't matter if you are playing pro or normal, you are in trouble.
sgraney

Post by sgraney »

So this just happened.
https://boardgamearena.com/1/sechsnimmt?table=326903814

I'm at 65 and the next closest is at 55.

I would really like the site to track the number of times a player is the highest or lowest average card value. I'd like to see that.

Return to “6 nimmt!”