UI Suggestions

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
ljazz7

UI Suggestions

Post by ljazz7 »

I originally planned to post this specifically for the developers to see, but thought it might be better for the community to be able to further express things they would like to see to improve the online experience. With that said, here are some things that I thing could make it better:

1. Make map bigger. Solution: Move the player resource panel to the top of the screen under the "x is taking turn" prompt. This should free up some space horizontally to make the map larger.

2. Make conversions reversible throughout your turn.

3. Many things require an excessive amount of clicks. Individually this is not a problem, but over the course of a 2+ hr game, these micro action add up and make game length much longer than necessary and they wear on the user. Below are things all related to this issue:

a. Make power actions behave like they do in Terra Mystica. Currently, a player must do manual conversions to burn power and take a power action. In TM, by clicking the power action, the necessary conversions are done for you.

b. Make the map and research board clickable. Currently you have to select a prompt to execute a build a mine/upgrade/research action.

c. When forming feds, make it so only the satellite locations must be selected. Additionally, make it so the power tokens used come from the lowest bowl by default.

4. Starting resources for factions as well as differences in the player boards do not seem viewable until the game has started.
Mogri

Re: UI Suggestions

Post by Mogri »

1. Check the player preferences. You can already move the research board to below the map if you need the map to be larger.

2. See GEN2 at https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=53783

3c. Not all federations require satellites. All federations require planets.

4. After clicking on a faction, click on the faction again to see starting resources. Note the "Click again for details" text.
ljazz7

Post by ljazz7 »

1) I think the main map and research boards are both the primary things that need to be visible at all times. My suggestion allows for things to be displayed larger, while keeping both of these things at the primary position of the screen. Ideally, we would also be able to see the round track and end game objectives at the same time.

3c) Then maybe make it so if satellites are selected, the adjacent planets are automatically detected. The steam app does a fantastic job with fed forming that works very much in this way.
Kahy

Post by Kahy »

Brown and orange colours and orange and yellow are very similar. Sometimes people have problems to recognize, especially when yellow, brown and orange are playing in the same game.
DkNukMe

Post by DkNukMe »

Hi

I would like to share some ideas to improve UI of this game. The goal of these sharing is to play mainly with the map and tech board.

1) I often forget some special action because I did'n view them.
Will it be possible to add in the action bar a button for special actions (clickable when at least one special action is available)

2) When a player is passing, it could be nice to show up booster token on the top of the screen, to avoid needed to scroll on the bottom to pick one

3) Is it possible to indicate on the top of the screen a remainder of the actual turn bonus point (maybe the next turn bonus point too), and final scoring position of players as a summary.

4) With Ivits faction, is it possible to show an indicator of the total power of the connected building with planetary institute. It will avoid to take time to count it regularly.

Thanks to have develop this game, good job to the team.
hustGuan

Post by hustGuan »

Also, can we add confirmation button in Gaia please?
For example, Ark Nova has a good mechanism to let player confirm their actions.
slukefter

Post by slukefter »

Kahy wrote: 15 January 2022, 07:44 Brown and orange colours and orange and yellow are very similar. Sometimes people have problems to recognize, especially when yellow, brown and orange are playing in the same game.
For red/green colour blind players, it's impossible to play with these colours
Mogri

Post by Mogri »

slukefter wrote: 13 July 2023, 21:28
Kahy wrote: 15 January 2022, 07:44 Brown and orange colours and orange and yellow are very similar. Sometimes people have problems to recognize, especially when yellow, brown and orange are playing in the same game.
Out of curiosity, do you have the same difficulty in the physical game of Gaia Project?
slukefter

Post by slukefter »

Mogri wrote: 14 July 2023, 00:04
slukefter wrote: 13 July 2023, 21:28
Out of curiosity, do you have the same difficulty in the physical game of Gaia Project?
If the board is lid up really well, it's ok with the physical game, but it's not easy. * is the only way for me to play it, really.

*moderator edit: please do not directly name or link other gaming platforms
slukefter

Post by slukefter »

EDIT: I can see that its possible to get an outline now through the settings. Great! - Definitely better!

The main problem - for me at least - is to distinguish red Vs. brown colors (Taklons Vs. Geodens). If units of one of these colors could get a thin white outline, the problem would be gone

Return to “Gaia Project”