How do you avoid running out of time before your allotted time is used?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Ceaseless

How do you avoid running out of time before your allotted time is used?

Post by Ceaseless »

Just played a game of Reflection, but ran out of time and got hit for timing out within a couple of minutes while my opponent did not. How do players keep the time they're supposed to have in this game?
Tof63

Re: How do you avoid running out of time before your allotted time is used?

Post by Tof63 »

As long as you move or place items it gives you additionnal time.
But anyway a round is always time limited, depending of the parameters of the table.
Ceaseless

Post by Ceaseless »

Tof63 wrote: 21 December 2022, 22:38 As long as you move or place items it gives you additionnal time.
But anyway a round is always time limited, depending of the parameters of the table.
Hm, I'll have to try that.
I do find it strange that there's still a BGA timer independent of the time set for rounds. I got hit for time in a round since I failed the BGA timer (I think it was two minutes, give or take) despite the round saying you had a timer of around 10. I even hit "give up" before the timer ran out in an attempt to avoid it, but the clock kept running on me. Not sure if there's a way to get those reversed or not, just was unfortunate to have that happen.
Ceaseless

Post by Ceaseless »

Ok, the solution seems to be moving an item when you're down to a certain time, which I believe is 1 minute. Tricky to catch because early in the game moving items doesn't affect your timer, and so when you're low on time it doesn't seem like that would have changed. Easy to get caught in a mess if you're just calculating and there's nothing you wanted to move yet in that last minute.
Tof63

Post by Tof63 »

The BGA timer is necessarily present, it is imposed by the BGA framework and the game developers have to deal with it.
In the case of this game, it's obviously a bit annoying, but you still have to allow players to kick out someone who isn't playing, otherwise the game never ends.
The timer for each round that is managed by the game only forces the player to click the 'give up' button, but if the player has disconnected from bga the click on the button is not done. In this case it is the BGA timer that allows the other players to kick out the player who is no longer playing, in order to finish the game.

BGA is not really designed to host games like Reflection, I had to twist the framework a bit...

You guessed it right, if the BGA timer goes below 1mn and the player takes an action, then we give him some time.
There are finally very few differences between the 3 "real time" modes in this game. In any case if the player's BGA timer goes below 1 min and he does an action, then we give him some extra time (60 seconds in "fast speed", 90 seconds in "normal speed" and 120 seconds in "slow speed")

But if the players try to expel you, you are warned, you just have to do something as soon as you get the warning to avoid the expulsion.
Personally, the players who expel as soon as the counter becomes negative, they don't do it twice with me: I never play with them again ;)

Having explained all this, and hoping that my explanations were clear, if someone has a better idea to manage the BGA timer I am interested :)
zellaaa

Post by zellaaa »

it's so annoying when a player runs out of time specially in turn-based mode, the screen automatically zooms in so you can't clearly see the items you have to use, even if I refresh the game it just remains the same until that player regains his time again :cry:
zellaaa
Tof63

Post by Tof63 »

@zellaaa, you play with your phone ?
I'm not sure to understand what happens exactly :(

Return to “Reflection”