Does Concept work turn-based?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
bagpussmyhero

Does Concept work turn-based?

Post by bagpussmyhero »

The subject says it all really - I saw the previous topic from 2020 that said it had been disabled but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I would like to try the game but whenever I have a bit of time I look and there are no Concept tables open. Even if I open my own table and message general chat still get no takers -then I am out of time and have to go and do something else. Rinse and repeat. Just wondered if turn-based was viable as then I could check later?
Tisaac

Re: Does Concept work turn-based?

Post by Tisaac »

bagpussmyhero wrote: 09 March 2022, 20:27 The subject says it all really - I saw the previous topic from 2020 that said it had been disabled but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I would like to try the game but whenever I have a bit of time I look and there are no Concept tables open. Even if I open my own table and message general chat still get no takers -then I am out of time and have to go and do something else. Rinse and repeat. Just wondered if turn-based was viable as then I could check later?
Turn based is disabled for Concept.
goldensmith

Post by goldensmith »

I agree with OPs concerns. I will also add that the slowest time option for real time games is too short. Every time I have played Concept someone (or everyone) has ended up receiving a time out violation. Which discourages playing the game more frequently.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

goldensmith wrote: 04 June 2022, 21:12 I agree with OPs concerns. I will also add that the slowest time option for real time games is too short. Every time I have played Concept someone (or everyone) has ended up receiving a time out violation. Which discourages playing the game more frequently.
That's a completely different issue. What you are talking about is a bug, already reported, and for which there are no solution since it's the framework that is buggy with player timers.
goldensmith

Post by goldensmith »

Tisaac wrote: 05 June 2022, 07:18
goldensmith wrote: 04 June 2022, 21:12 I agree with OPs concerns. I will also add that the slowest time option for real time games is too short. Every time I have played Concept someone (or everyone) has ended up receiving a time out violation. Which discourages playing the game more frequently.
That's a completely different issue. What you are talking about is a bug, already reported, and for which there are no solution since it's the framework that is buggy with player timers.
I understand why you say it’s a different issue and a bug, but being able to setup a fast turned based would allow for longer clocks and avoid the timeout…which is why I mentioned it here.
merola90

Post by merola90 »

Tisaac wrote: 09 March 2022, 23:11
bagpussmyhero wrote: 09 March 2022, 20:27 The subject says it all really - I saw the previous topic from 2020 that said it had been disabled but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I would like to try the game but whenever I have a bit of time I look and there are no Concept tables open. Even if I open my own table and message general chat still get no takers -then I am out of time and have to go and do something else. Rinse and repeat. Just wondered if turn-based was viable as then I could check later?
Turn based is disabled for Concept.
I think the rules would have to be modified for Concept to work turn-based.

For example, all guessers could be forced to give a guess before all of the guesses would be shown. And then people could prepare to make their next guess. This would mean there could be a tie. And the explainers would have to wait after the guess is complete before their new data would be refreshed to the guessers.

The game is about fastest guesser getting points, but it would need to be modified to be about how many hints you read before you make your guess.

The better alternative would be to let each participant read explainers' actions one-by-one and make any number of guesses in between. And the guesses would never be shown to other guessers or there would be benefits for not going ahead of other players.

In summary:
  • synchronized guessing
  • a tie
  • batch updates for hints
  • hint browsing
  • lonely guessing
Konker

Post by Konker »

It would be nice if they'd let me do turn-based in my two-player, training mode game with a friend because I can't play at any other tables while this is going on. I can get rid of the time limit, but I can't get rid of the restriction on my own other activity.

Return to “Concept”