Who goes through?

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
john0607

Who goes through?

Post by john0607 »

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding was that if a tournament match was abandoned for someone going overtime that the players with the most time left got through. But in a recent game, I finished third despite having the most time left. Please explain.
Shivaware

Re: Who goes through?

Post by Shivaware »

Your understanding is sort of correct, but that only applies when the game is stopped because it reached the maximum duration. For your game, one of the other players skipped the person that had run out of time. In this case, a different method is used to rank the players. What I've heard is that the players with the newest accounts are the ones that are eliminated. I'm not sure if this is really true, but there are three games in your tournament where this happened and the newest account was eliminated in all of them.
john0607

Post by john0607 »

Shivaware wrote: 06 December 2022, 08:23 Your understanding is sort of correct, but that only applies when the game is stopped because it reached the maximum duration. For your game, one of the other players skipped the person that had run out of time. In this case, a different method is used to rank the players. What I've heard is that the players with the newest accounts are the ones that are eliminated. I'm not sure if this is really true, but there are three games in your tournament where this happened and the newest account was eliminated in all of them.
Seriously? Well that is typical of BGA to use some ridiculously arbitrary means to decide these thing. Such a joke
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

john0607 wrote: 06 December 2022, 09:39Seriously? Well that is typical of BGA to use some ridiculously arbitrary means to decide these thing. Such a joke
This is why I will no longer play tournaments with player counts other than 2. Unfortunately, unless you read this forum you have to be burned by it before you learn how it works.
Gulchen

Post by Gulchen »

Depending on where you live, https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27194 might help.
FSKFSK

Post by FSKFSK »

For multiplayer elimination tournaments, when a player is kicked for running out of time (and someone else needs to be eliminated), the options should be:

1. Replay the game with one fewer player, if the game supports that player count.
2. All other players advance to the next round, even if that means that too many players advance.

It is arbitrary and unfair how it works now, randomly eliminating someone who wasn't out of time. I think "oldest account advances" is the tiebreaker. It matches all the times I checked.

I actually prefer multiplayer elimination tournaments over swiss, because any slow players will usually get kicked after the first or second round. After that, you should finish all games.

Another defect is that the karma penalty for timing out of a tournament game is too small (-4) and it's too easy to regain karma. Tournament karma should be tracked separately so that people can't habitually abandon tournament games without penalty.
NikityczR

Post by NikityczR »

I'm gonna add one more question

a tie in a game that has no tie-breaker

I got a 1-1 result in Lucky Numbers (2 players, tournament scoring rules)
I got eliminated, despite having more time and account seniority (which I just learned, and is not a good method)

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”