Double play rule clarification

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
peshehod

Double play rule clarification

Post by peshehod »

Hello all,

The rules state that it is not allowed to play Wipe Out or Double Play after Double Play (only O, X and Flips can be played).
Quote:"The Double Play Card allows two cards to be played during a single turn. Any combination of a Symbol Card or Flip Card that equals two cards is acceptable. However, a Double Play Card or Wipe Out Card CANNOT be played as one of those two cards."

The Wiki adds a little to this.
Quote: "Double Play Card: allows two cards to be played during a single turn. Double Play Cards or Wipe Out Cards CANNOT be played as one of those two cards. If you cannot make a valid move, you may use the Double Play as a discard."

So, what should happen in the following situations?

1. I have cards DP, DP, WO, X. Can I use DP to discard WO and play X?
2. I have cards DP, DP, DP, WO. Can I use DP to discard two cards? (Not clear, because I can make a valid move without DP).
3. I have DP, DP, X, O. Can use DP to discard another DP and play one of the symbol cards?

Actually, the third situation happened in a game (table https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=330242389). I played DP, discarded another DP and suddenly my turn ended. Funny thing, after that three more cards were drawn, and I ended up with 5 cards on hand. I am pretty sure that was not supposed to happen, but what instead?
I think, it should be either "play DP, discard DP, play Symbol" or "play DP, and the other DP is not playable".
What do you think?
Mooselock

Re: Double play rule clarification

Post by Mooselock »

Hey Peshehod,

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to everyone's attention. I am the creator and publisher for Tic-Tac Match and have been aware of the confusion you described regarding the use of the Double Play Card. We are working with the programmer to fix these issues.

We have a pending solution (see below) that is a work in progress. Notice of any changes will be made if/when completed.

The Double Play card allows a player to play OR discard two cards on a single turn. A Double Play or Wipe Out Cardcan only be discarded, if chosen, and The Flip Card can only be played. This would give the option to discard even symbol cards as an extra layer of strategy and avoid the rare condition of not being able to make a play or getting stuck in a programming loop.

I will keep you posted as we work through these updates. If you haven't alreeady done so, please report this using the bug link listed on the Forum Rules header.

Peace & Games!
Hagardunor

Post by Hagardunor »

I have a similar question.

As the DP card allows to play OR discard two cards, what should happen on your turn when you do not have this DP card ?

Are you OBLIGED to play one card, whatever it is, even if you only have symbol cards with your opponent's symbol.

Or can you play OR discard one card ?

Thanks
Mooselock

Post by Mooselock »

Here is some clarification from the designer (AKA Me)

Any combination of a Symbol Card or Flip Card that equals two cards is acceptable. However, a Double Play Card or Wipe Out Card CANNOT be played as one of those two cards.

The BGA version differs slightly from the physical version. BGA allows you to discard a Double Play or Wipe-Out Card and count it as one of the two cards. You can decide which two cards, but only a Symbol or Flip Card directly affects the game board. This was done to avoid the rare situation where you may not have a valid play and the game goes into a programming loop.

Hope this helps. Thanks for reaching out!
Hagardunor

Post by Hagardunor »

Hello

That helps for the online game. Thanks.

My question however was more related to the real life game when you play a regular turn without any DP card.

As an example : when I own the X symbol and only have O symbol cards to play (which means I will help my opponent if I put it on the playing board), am I allowed to discard one of them instead of playing them ?
Mooselock

Post by Mooselock »

Hagardunor,

In the real life version of Tic-Tac Match, there are no discards. Each cards has a direct impact on the playing grid or an opponent's hand.

Peace and Games!

Return to “Tic-Tac Match”