ELO

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Wreckage

Re: ELO

Post by Wreckage »

In Hanabi, I am pretty sure the vast majority favor losing 10 ELO for abandoned games. Players have posted this request a thousand times. Just because this request has been ignored for years doesn't mean people like how it is currently.

It's definitely more fun if ELO means something. I agree with Vandaley, getting over 100,000 ELO seems ridiculous (and meaningless), but that's where we're headed.
Earthboundia

Post by Earthboundia »

Vandaley wrote: 01 January 2023, 21:25 If you do not lose ELO it seems like it should just be +1 per win, maybe plus a small bit more for harder settings. Maybe coop games operate this way.
They do that in Burglebros already. Issue with that is the normal metrics for restricting players by rank is impossible since the vast majority of people have not won 100 games yet and I think the top ranking players who were playing since alpha stage are barely past 200.
Jellby wrote: 31 December 2022, 21:51
Earthboundia wrote: 31 December 2022, 18:55 I think you are in the minority. I think I've red thumbed more people in Hanabi than every other BGA game put together. If you have ELO on the line then people will be more competitive, if they added it to regicide chances are it would descend into Hanabi games where players will quit rather than risk losing ELO or get really aggressive from a move that they deem "bad".
So? What is the problem? People who don't care about it can play in training mode. Having an ELO score which just increases with every play is useless (and not ELO). If some kind of meaningful ELO is not wanted, why not make the game (and every other cooperative game) training-mode-only?
A meaningful ELO system as stated before allows for players to ultimately distinguish between players of different skill levels and so training mode only would make it impossible for a player who might only want to play with more experienced players or vice versa. I admit the regicide system is far from perfect however out of all the systems I've seen so far I feel it is the most practical. While there are some players with 8700 ELO (I think that is the limit) there is the other end of the spectrum and with a standard game win only offering 24 ELO per win I think it still works to distinguish less experienced players from more given it would take approximately 29 wins to reach master level.
ufm

Post by ufm »

In fact I don't think 'ELO' in co-op should be 'ELO'.
I'm treating the BGA rating for co-ops as 'XP' instead: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=105659
Wreckage wrote: 01 January 2023, 22:07 In Hanabi, I am pretty sure the vast majority favor losing 10 ELO for abandoned games. Players have posted this request a thousand times. Just because this request has been ignored for years doesn't mean people like how it is currently.
That request is ignored because it is simply impossible with current BGA framework.
You should consider what BGA framework can do and what it cannot to suggest an alternative.
Vandaley wrote: 01 January 2023, 21:25 If you do not lose ELO it seems like it should just be +1 per win, maybe plus a small bit more for harder settings. Maybe coop games operate this way.
Yes for Bandido or Similo. 100% no for others.

Return to “Regicide”