When do cards like ebonist trigger?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
hunwee

When do cards like ebonist trigger?

Post by hunwee »

I'm in a game where I have both
ebonist "Each harvest, you can use this card to turn exactly 1
wood into 1 grain and 1 food."
and
social benefits "Immediately after the feeding phase of each harvest, if you have no food left, you get 1 wood
and 1 clay."

Suppose I enter the harvest with just enough food to feed. Can I feed, then trigger social benefits, then trigger ebonist in the breeding phase of the harvest? Or does the phrasing "each harvest" indicate that ebonist triggers at a specific time during the harvest (i.e. the beginning)?
EuroGamez

Re: When do cards like ebonist trigger?

Post by EuroGamez »

If the cards are as stated then yes. You can do exactly that. If you have zero food after paying for feeding then it triggers, then you should even be able to activate other effects before animals breed. Some of there cards are 1 time prompts that ask you "do you want to ...?" these are usually "at the end of harvest" cards though. The other ones you can just do anytime using the conversion window, e.g. BMW, Pottery, Joinery, etc.
Smoo

Post by Smoo »

Just be mindful that you don't actually get a chance to use any cards during the breeding phase unless you have both a) the "auto reorganize" option set to manual, or auto with confirm AND b) an actual breeding pair.

You wouldn't be the first person to miss that ebonist & similar cards like basket carrier need to be used manually through the conversions window, rather than popping up with a trigger.
hunwee

Post by hunwee »

Smoo wrote: 19 December 2022, 20:37 Just be mindful that you don't actually get a chance to use any cards during the breeding phase unless you have both a) the "auto reorganize" option set to manual, or auto with confirm AND b) an actual breeding pair.
While this wasn't in my question, I was also wondering about it. This inability to use cards in the breeding phase is just a bug right? (A bug that probably hasn't been fixed because it's such a specific situation)

Return to “Agricola”