Losing players leave the game during playing

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
RyanTH

Re: Losing players leave the game during playing

Post by RyanTH »

There’s obviously an enormous difference between someone quitting one turn before someone else is going to win, and someone who is rightfully disgruntled that they are stuck clicking “next” every minute for the next hour. The current interface is moderately user hostile.
Stroom

Post by Stroom »

And leaving the game, replacing that player with a bot will also make the game worse for the other players. Play through EVERY game. Bad games happen. If anything, not quitting will force you to think harder about initial settlement placement and become a better player... not hoping for luck at the start of the game.

The UI is quite slow indeed. That could definitely be improved.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

That's how this game is. If you don't want to play a game where you may end up doing nothing for a few (many) turns, don't join the table.
Earthboundia

Post by Earthboundia »

Stroom wrote: 01 January 2023, 23:52
RyanTH wrote: 01 January 2023, 23:46
Stroom wrote: 30 December 2022, 06:17 Playing through the game is a common board game etiquette thing. Just play it through and try your best. You will find that you can learn much more when playing in tight situations.
This is a bit of a dismissive response. Even the best player can end up in an unwinnable game where there are no meaningful actions. There's nothing to learn there for them by playing it out. And the interface does not let you pass gracefully. It requires constant active engagement. Combine that with slow players and it's a needlessly aggravating experience.
You still play to the end. As a winning player it also will suck if someone else just quits and doesn't let you enjoy playing through the game.

Often players give up too soon. They don't see a path to win when there still is a way.

Otherwise people would just keep giving up 1-2 turns before someone makes the final winning move. That is not a fun way to end games.

Basic online gaming etiquette. You let other players enjoy the game so that you can also enjoy the game when the roles are reversed.
As someone who has been in a overwhelming winning situation in a game before, it's not fun for the winner either to drag a game out when they know there is no competition anymore. Granted there are some players who only find fun when others are miserably losing though. But I agree that people should at least see out that game to the end. But afterwards they should play another game or play in private lobbies.
krisna

Post by krisna »

I didnt read the whole discussion but I just want to add my two cents.

There should be a much bigger penalty for leaving the game, it still happens way too often, and its super annoying.

Also the thumb down system doesnt work. I want to downvote someone because he left the game and I get this ''You can't give more than 1 red thumbs for each 5 green thumbs''
Ok, I will just upvote some of my friends with who I ve played a lot and then I get this - ''You have not played with this player recently, so you can't affect their reputation'' :D
splashes lass

Post by splashes lass »

I played Catan online last night.

I made a stupid mistake placing robber on my own settlement

Opponent immediately wanted to quit.

Even though I apologised.

I played more of game well.

I started to win.

They quit.

How is my reputation doing please ?

I new to online board games.

I am trying games to see what to buy in the real world for games nights with friends. They have a collection of games. I don't

Return to “Catan”