Pmprove Arnak's Undo Feature

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
mrtibbs

Pmprove Arnak's Undo Feature

Post by mrtibbs »

My friends and I have very much enjoyed playing Lost Ruins of Arnak on BGA (we all own the physical game as well!) However, the user interface could be improved a bit. In particular, if any action by a player would result in Undo no longer being possible, the game should prompt the user with a warning something like: "That action will be undoable. Do you wish to proceed?"

Here's an example: playing the Snake Temple board, when you research the 4th tier with the glass you are able to select one of the research assistants from a pile there. You actually only see the top of the assistants on the pile, but when you move your glass there by clicking on the pile of assistants, you then see all of them and can click on the one you want to obtain. The pile is then placed back on the board, but he other players will still only see the top-most assistant.

In a game I mistakenly clicked on the pile (I was just trying to hover the cursor over it) and I was now locked into making a selection with no possibility of undoing. I would have much preferred if, upon clicking on the pile, I'd obtained the warning message described above. I agree with the action being undoable, since the player has gained information about which assistants are in the pile, but not with being locked into getting that information prematurely.

There are other situations where this warning message and the ability to abort the action arise.
Likewize

Re: Pmprove Arnak's Undo Feature

Post by Likewize »

I fear such a message would get very annoying over time. Unfortunately, game state changes that can't be undone happen quite frequently.
They include drawing cards (Horse, Assistant, etc.), revealing cards/sites (Fishing Rod, Precision Compass, etc.), some research steps (taking any assistant, bonus tile for reaching the top), and probably more that I can't think about right now.
You definitely would need to be able to deactivate these warnings entirely.
Ez0ah

Post by Ez0ah »

mrtibbs wrote: 17 June 2022, 17:56 My friends and I have very much enjoyed playing Lost Ruins of Arnak on BGA (we all own the physical game as well!) However, the user interface could be improved a bit. In particular, if any action by a player would result in Undo no longer being possible, the game should prompt the user with a warning something like: "That action will be undoable. Do you wish to proceed?"
Think about is this way: when you are playing the physical game, would you like someone to tell you everytime "this action will reveal new info, we won't accept you to cancel it at this point"
Evo Master

Post by Evo Master »

Having a 5 second counter before the move is made would be perfect. You could take a back a misclick.
Bronn Stone

Post by Bronn Stone »

If this is ever implemented, it should NOT be the default.

You should have to click "I want to be spammed on almost every move" before this happens.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

Ez0ah wrote: 13 July 2022, 13:44
mrtibbs wrote: 17 June 2022, 17:56 My friends and I have very much enjoyed playing Lost Ruins of Arnak on BGA (we all own the physical game as well!) However, the user interface could be improved a bit. In particular, if any action by a player would result in Undo no longer being possible, the game should prompt the user with a warning something like: "That action will be undoable. Do you wish to proceed?"
Think about is this way: when you are playing the physical game, would you like someone to tell you everytime "this action will reveal new info, we won't accept you to cancel it at this point"
This.

Return to “Lost Ruins of Arnak”