Victory conditions missing from the Mission Briefing?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Joe

Victory conditions missing from the Mission Briefing?

Post by Joe »

Hi devs,

a great implementation of a great game! Found Talon recently (although I looked at it when it was first released here on BGA, but went by for some reason, not knowing what I know now!) and am already playing several games.

One thing that might be missing from the Briefings in a mission are the Victory Conditions. Even if it is a standard "last man standing", it could be stated with a short sentence, just for completenes' sake. But Scenario 4 (Patton's End) and further ones have the Victory section listed in the Playbook separately from the Special Rules.

Kudos and keep up the good work!
Lunalol

Re: Victory conditions missing from the Mission Briefing?

Post by Lunalol »

Click on ALIEN icon.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Clicked :)

This is for instance the Briefing for Mission 4, Patton's End:

Scenario 4 - Patton’s End
December 24, 2227

• Terran Units: 1 CA (area A), 1 BASE (area B), 2 FTRs (area B), 1 SC (area B): Patton, Valley Forge, Wolverine Squadron, Black Jack Squadron, Explorer
• Talon Units: 1 DD (area A), 2 FF (area B): Predator, Vision, Surprise

• Special Rules: This scenario uses several special rules.

– The Patton must deploy to Terran setup area A.
– The Terran Base must deploy to area B and the FTRs must start adjacent to the Base.
– The Talon DD deploys to Talon area A, the Talon FFs must deploy to Talon area B.
– Ships may assume any facing.
– The Patton starts the battle with 3 boxes of Hull damage marked off but has full shields.
– Also, Patton’s Torpedo Weapon Group is Jury Rigged (see Jury Rigged, broken-wire side) and may not fire at this time.
– To win, the Patton must dock with the Base. She may dock at any Speed.
– Due to the highly sensitive nature of the intel Patton is carrying, both sides have called for emergency reinforcements.
– During the battle, the Talon will get several Reinforcements.
– The reinforcement sides for the Talon are the top and bottom “long” edges of the board.
– The Talon player may choose which side to deploy the reinforcements.
– The reinforcement side for Terran is the board side with deployment area B.

• Talon Reinforcements:
– Round 1: 1 DD: Hunter
– Round 2: 1 CL: Indomitable
• Terran Reinforcements:
– Round 1: 1 CL: Asgard

In the Playbook this is written at the end:

Victory: If the Talon player destroys the Patton, they win and the scenario immediately ends. All ships remaining on the board are considered to have retreated because additional Terran reinforcements are inbound. If the Patton docks, its critical data is securely transmitted to headquarters. The Terrans win and the scenario immediately ends. Additional Terran reinforcements are inbound and the remaining Talon ships retreat. Since this scenario is asymmetric, we recommend playing it twice, switching sides. For Lifetime Score, the player who wins both games (destroying the Patton in one game and docking it in another) wins a Devastating Victory. Only winning one of the two games awards a Minor Victory.
Lunalol

Post by Lunalol »

"– To win, the Patton must dock with the Base. She may dock at any Speed." isn't enough ?
Ruskie

Post by Ruskie »

Lunalol wrote: 10 January 2023, 21:32 "– To win, the Patton must dock with the Base. She may dock at any Speed." isn't enough ?
Yes, if you are the Patton player. If not... ;)
Calmon70

Post by Calmon70 »

So how do I "dock"? In my current game I'm exactly on the base location but I didn't win. Instead I'm able to move again out of the station. Is there some hidden trick to dock?

Here the game: https://boardgamearena.com/10/talon?table=409681190

edit: I just moved through the base, game still open. I rechecked rulebook and found this:

16.2 Docking/Landing Procedure
To dock, the player declares during the movement phase that this
ship will be docking. They then may move the ship into the same
hex as the Base or Planet and remove the ship from the game.

Still not sure how to declare it. I missed this option when moving into the base...
Lunalol

Post by Lunalol »

Still not sure how to declare it. I missed this option when moving into the base...
Yes, you miss the DOCK button (same for LANDing on planets).
Calmon70

Post by Calmon70 »

Lunalol wrote: 25 August 2023, 10:50
Yes, you miss the DOCK button (same for LANDing on planets).
ok, I will do it more carful next time. Thanks for the info.

Return to “Talon”