Conceding matches long before they're lost is out of hand.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Craigergeist

Conceding matches long before they're lost is out of hand.

Post by Craigergeist »

It is frustrating almost to the point that Backgammon is unplayable on BGA at this point. I've seen comments that people feel it's polite not to force the opponent to play out a game that's objectively already been decided. Personally I feel if you start a game you should finish it, but it's certainly a fair point. If mathematically the winner is already know then fine that's one thing. What I find obnoxious is how many people are conceding games that are in no way decided. Most games in which I have a slight advantage people just quit. I'm curious if anybody who frequently concedes this way would be willing to explain why? Would you quit a game like that in real life? AITA? I don't run into this issue with other games, only Backgammon.
MrBeardy

Re: Conceding matches long before they're lost is out of hand.

Post by MrBeardy »

Some people don't like to play with overly aggressive players and concede to get out of a game they're not enjoying regardless of whether the outcome is inevitable or not. Other people just want to win for whatever reason they feel the need to, so leave if they think they won't, or even might not. Others are just pragmatic and don't see the point flogging a dead horse. And some people just need to leave a game for life reasons beyond the game (doorbell, phonecall, call of nature, child crying, whatever). It's not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing. I try to see it as someone saying "ok you got me, you win" and leave it at that.
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

Backgammon is one of the games where in real life tournaments conceding is part of the game and is even considered polite (same as chess). In a multi-point match, your opponent can even reject your resignation of a single game if he thinks he still might win a gammon or a backgammon. There are strict rules about resigning because it is part of the game. This is different than in a game of, say, Carcassonne, where the difference of points may be a tie-breaker and you are forced to play till the end.

That being said, here on BGA we only play for 1 point - so declining a resignation is not possible. I also had quite a lot of games where my opponent still had a winning chance of up to 10%, but the situation was looking grim for him and he resigned.

Correctly estimating your winning chances in backgammon is very difficult. Thus, a resignation happens, when a player does not value his chances correctly to turn the game around.

Sometimes it is even those players that complain that their opponents get "incredibly lucky" that resign too early and thus miss their chances to get "incredibly lucky" on their own... :-)
franka2

Post by franka2 »

I'm just getting started here on BGA playing Backgammon. I've been in a few matches where resigning would be appropriate but can't figure out how to resign. Please point out how to resign. Thanks
figoluu

Post by figoluu »

My win ratio beeing 58% after more than 7000 games, i think i am an honest player, qualified to juge if a game is worthy to be played on, or should be resigned. The upsetting thing is the impossibility to give up before The algorithm allows it, thus wasting a lot of time. I would like the resign button to be available at any time.
DJSpottie

Post by DJSpottie »

The premature quitting is one of the reasons why the Doubling Die is urgently needed. One of its purposes is: you offer a double as the clearly leading player so the opponent can simply refuse and concede the match this way.
GreenP55

Post by GreenP55 »

Resigning is often a reflection of the platform you’re using. I think people resign sooner in Arena than in Friendly matches. You can’t even resign in tournaments. Agree the doubling cube is very effective at forcing a losing position to resign so yes, bring on the cube. Disagree that BG resignation is a courtesy comparable to chess. In chess you resign on your turn, (and you only move one piece) in BGA players resign anytime - including just before the winning move is played, while you are in the middle of a move and immediately their opponent gets a good roll - too often with a quip that they are victims of misfortune so I think we’re being generous thinking we’re all good sports here. That said, Arena is a place you play to win so don’t expect the game to be switched to turn based if your clock runs out or for your opponent to hang around if you’re bearing off and they are still bringing checkers in from their outer board. Play friendly matches and tournaments if you want to play to the bitter end,
RiggyNo1

Post by RiggyNo1 »

Does resigning pre end game have a different impact on ELO vs. Playing to end and losing?

When I play to the end and lose I seem to lose more points than when opponents resign on me.

(Could be an ELO calculation quirk).

I always play til the end even if it looks grim but hope I am not being rude to someone who is clearly winning :)
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

In a 2-player game, resigning is exactly the same as playing till the end and losing. For all purposes of ELO calculation, Arena points and win/loss statistics.

In multiple-player games, resigning is not possible. Because the respective order of all players is necessary for ELO calculation and that order could not be determined with the game ending prematurely.
MattTheHoser

Post by MattTheHoser »

At times it seems this game predetermines a winner. Perfect Blot rolls. Multiple sets of doubles. If I'm on the wrong end of that and there doesn't seem like I have a fair chance, I'll concede at the 50% mark (Arena). I don't have an issue with people conceding the other way, as I understand how wild the rolls can be on BGA. Why waste my time? I'd rather get to the next game that is a competitive one.

Return to “Backgammon”