Please Penalize People Who Quit Games By "Conceding"

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
thoun

Re: Please Penalize People Who Quit Games By "Conceding"

Post by thoun »

Nappywars wrote: 20 January 2023, 09:19 You're missing the point. Do you like it when somebody (loser) quits a game on the last turn of a four-player game?
You can only concede in a 2 players game. (it usually happens in chess, for example, when you recognize you're opponent will win anyway).

If you quit the game in a 4 players game (thus not conceding but leaving the table with Quit table button), you are warned you shouldn't do that, and you are penalized for it.

I agree the topic is unclear, as quitting and conceding are 2 different things.
Quitter Elite

Post by Quitter Elite »

You can only concede in a 2 players game.
What you mean is; you can only quit in a 2-player game without suffering any consequences.
If you quit the game in a 4 players game - you shouldn't do that - and you are penalized for it.
Quitters don't think about the game or any of the other players. Quitters quit because they get frustrated, and they will never understand the game they are playing. I understand it when a player must concede, its quitters that I don't agree with. they make it miserable for everyone.

I've played three games here on BGA, so far. The first game I was losing so bad (I won)! Any normal bloke would have quit playing. In my last game (3rd) my opponent (still had a chance) must have got frustrated and quit.

The object of the game is to play to the best of your ability. If you're in a bad situation, do the best you can in order to survive! You never know when your opponent is going to make a mistake.

I'm sure to acquire many Red thumbs, because I don't quit when those Quitters think I should. :cry:
Bonehead001

Post by Bonehead001 »

BGA allows me to quit, I'll quit anytime I begin to lose...and there is nothing you can do about it!
I like Red thumbs!!! Love em :P
Rowyn

Post by Rowyn »

If you want to know what the score would've been, or if you want the opportunity to play the rest of the game solo when your opponent concedes, then ask that "concede" be altered so that the remaining player can continue the game solo. Asking for concede to be removed or that people who concede must be punished is the childish behavior of a sore winner. I almost never concede because I dislike it when my opponent does, but I'm certainly not going to whine and complain that someone else is required to do something they're not enjoying just so I can gloat longer over my victory.
Malarkeyy

Post by Malarkeyy »

concede means you've thought something through, you've recognized it as true, just or proper; you've admitted it...that's not giving up, it's not quitting in the way we normally think.
Quitting is stopping a commitment!
Most quitters - quit due to ignorance. They get upset, frustrated, habit, etc.
someone else is required to do something they're not enjoying
Such as life?
Keegan the Squirrel

Post by Keegan the Squirrel »

I will only concede if I can see that there is no way for me to win. What is the issue with doing that? Why should we play out a game, waste both of our time to play a game that has the winner already set?

Example - Backgammon - If you are red and I am yellow and you have all your reds in to start removing but I have two yellows that are still over in my start area and no way to get them out due to bad luck on dice rolls, why would we continue to play? Wouldn't be nice of me to state, you win and let us move on so that we can maybe play another game before getting back to real life?

Or, Yahtzee - If you and I are playing and I rolled three Yahtzee (150pts) and you can't even get one Yahtzee, why should we continue to play it if we know there is no way for you to win it at that point? Again, concede and let us play another game.
Skiipy

Post by Skiipy »

I will only concede if I can see that there is no way for me to win. What is the issue with doing that?
Think of it like this; You'd try harder if you were playing for money.
I can see
Thats just it, 99% of players that quit can't see beyond the Cards, Dice, Luck, frustrations etc.
If you want to quit, you should cry first! Maybe your opponent can set you strait. Cry aloud and whine it to your opponent. Your opponent might be sympathetic to your cause and tell you if you stand a chance of winning or not...regardless of whether a chance has to win, Quitters, they will still pull the trigger...They don't see it...they don't want to see it.

Quitters need to gain a better understanding that goes beyond their potential actions. Do you put your own enjoyment of the game before sportsmanship?
Jeremy55

Post by Jeremy55 »

I have suspected people see it as a sign of respect, but when it comes just before I am placing my final tile it is just annoying and feels more petulant. So I agree with McBeardy, I get conceding at the start of the fifth phase when it is clear you can't win - or earlier - but not on the very last move.
Ceaseless

Post by Ceaseless »

It should be the default of every 2 player game to allow concessions whenever needed. Extremely underrated on BGA. Sure, there's a toxic playerbase of "anti-conceders" but they're the kind of player to always be unhappy and nasty no matter what you do. When a game is functionally over and there's nothing more to do but "go through the motions" of empty moves to get to the end, just scoop and move to the next game, no need to waste time. I came to play games, not mindlessly wait to end them.
Samraku

Post by Samraku »

I generally don't concede at the very end of games, though I'll concede earlier, but one exception is games which have a checkmate-like ending, but which do not phrase it like that in the rules, such that the losing player has a "lame duck" turn at the end where every one of their legal moves immediately lose. In such a situation, I will resign there, as I would feel that playing a move which has less than no bearing on the outcome, but which alters the final position nevertheless, takes away from the natural beauty of the end position.

Return to “Suggestions”