Reporting players who block - just why?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
dhnyny

Re: Reporting players who block - just why?

Post by dhnyny »

There are already at least two other threads on this same basic topic.

It is clear that there are people who like to play a game in which the only thing that matters is amassing more points than your opponent and doing so as long as you don't break any rules is simply playing well. For those players, complaining about blocking is "childish" and stupid and shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the game.

And it is equally clear that there are players who enjoy working toward and achieving the goal of completing destination tickets, not merely as a means to amass points but also as something that has independent value and a sense of gratification. For those players, blocking just to thwart another player rather than as part of an effort to complete one's own tickets is nasty, vicious, and ruins the game.

In this thread and in the other threads, players debate who is right rather than recognizing that there are obviously two camps and accepting that people play this game in different ways, have different expectations, and neither view is right or wrong. Instead of trying to convince each other or complain, why not use the "presentation" feature to set up games that attract the kind of players you want and just accept that there are some people who want to play one way and some who want to play the other way?
thg0724

Post by thg0724 »

What's the "presentation feature"?
dhnyny wrote: 24 January 2023, 02:27Instead of trying to convince each other or complain, why not use the "presentation" feature to set up games that attract the kind of players you want and just accept that there are some people who want to play one way and some who want to play the other way?
AamStarRunner

Post by AamStarRunner »

synnical77 wrote: 24 January 2023, 02:11
Blocking another player's route options is big-time part of the game. If I can block you I'm going to do it. If you try to sneak around that - I'll block there too. That's the game. Calling people names, reporting, or rage quitting it is the bad behavior.

Not everyone plays board games the way you demand they do.
yeah, no, that’s straight up bullying but from your comment I’m guessing you don’t actually care about having a good experience or connecting with anyone. That’s how you play, whatever, that’s not how *I* have to play, and you don’t get to dictate how I play.

Your statement goes both ways- Not everyone plays board games the way you demand they do. The difference is, you’re condoning (even bragging about it, which is gross) rude and bullying behavior, and I’m refusing to tolerate it.

It’s cute that you’re trying to gaslight me into accepting bullying as something I just have to get used to, though. 😂 Trust me, you are not the type of person whose approval I’m at all concerned about. So it’s pretty irrelevant what you think.
ManonIronteeth

Post by ManonIronteeth »

synnical77 wrote: 24 January 2023, 02:11 Blocking another player's route options is big-time part of the game. If I can block you I'm going to do it. If you try to sneak around that - I'll block there too. That's the game. Calling people names, reporting, or rage quitting it is the bad behavior.

Not everyone plays board games the way you demand they do.
Yeah no, that’s just rude and toxic behavior. You are deliberately taking the fun out of the game just to antagonize the other player for the sake of them not completing cards.
I’m giving you a red thumb now so that I never have to play with you in Ticket to Ride ever.
Flop Hecki

Post by Flop Hecki »

AamStarRunner wrote: 24 January 2023, 00:45 Kingmaking is explicitly against the rules.
Where can i read that rule? ;)
fiscused

Post by fiscused »

Flop Hecki wrote: 25 January 2023, 00:12
AamStarRunner wrote: 24 January 2023, 00:45 Kingmaking is explicitly against the rules.
The site has a FAQ:

What is the code of conduct?
On Board Game Arena, you should not:
Run out of time on the game clock.
Leave a game in progress on purpose.
Take an unnecessary and unreasonable amount of time at the end of game in an obvious losing position.
Engage in Kingmaking: enabling another player to win on purpose while there is a better move to make for yourself.
Give some piece of information about the current game situation that disturbs the normal game flow.
Communicate with another player about the game privately (for example with an instant messenging app).
Engage in provocation / triumphalism / defeatism... anything which is not fair play.
Flop Hecki

Post by Flop Hecki »

fiscused wrote: 25 January 2023, 02:30
Flop Hecki wrote: 25 January 2023, 00:12
The site has a FAQ:

What is the code of conduct?
On Board Game Arena, you should not:
Run out of time on the game clock.
Leave a game in progress on purpose.
Take an unnecessary and unreasonable amount of time at the end of game in an obvious losing position.
Engage in Kingmaking: enabling another player to win on purpose while there is a better move to make for yourself.
Give some piece of information about the current game situation that disturbs the normal game flow.
Communicate with another player about the game privately (for example with an instant messenging app).
Engage in provocation / triumphalism / defeatism... anything which is not fair play.
So it is just you who decides that blocking is "Kingmaking". Which it is not.
dhnyny

Post by dhnyny »

thg0724 wrote: 24 January 2023, 06:17 What's the "presentation feature"?
dhnyny wrote: 24 January 2023, 02:27Instead of trying to convince each other or complain, why not use the "presentation" feature to set up games that attract the kind of players you want and just accept that there are some people who want to play one way and some who want to play the other way?
When you create a game there's an inconspicuous link with the game options for you to add a "presentation," which is a text message that appears with the game's listing of open tables (assuming people are using "simple game" to find a game). So you could write something like "All blocking moves are welcome!" or "Casual game; no unnecessary blocking please" or whatever you want.
fiscused

Post by fiscused »

Flop Hecki wrote: 25 January 2023, 05:45 So it is just you who decides that blocking is "Kingmaking". Which it is not.
No, Kingmaking would be if you are blocking to specifically help another player win, and not doing anything to help yourself. As long as the block benefits you, it would not be kingmaking. It would be a strategic move. If you don't try and win, that is bad sportsmanship.
thg0724

Post by thg0724 »

fiscused wrote: 25 January 2023, 23:47
Flop Hecki wrote: 25 January 2023, 05:45 So it is just you who decides that blocking is "Kingmaking". Which it is not.
No, Kingmaking would be if you are blocking to specifically help another player win, and not doing anything to help yourself. As long as the block benefits you, it would not be kingmaking. It would be a strategic move. If you don't try and win, that is bad sportsmanship.
Blocking can be part of trying to win. Are you saying it is bad sportsmanship not to block when it would increase your chances of winning?

Return to “Ticket to Ride”