Improvement Suggestions

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
TigerEyeVA

Improvement Suggestions

Post by TigerEyeVA »

I'm new here. I'm sure this has all been said before, but I thought I'd stoke the fire again because it's not really Backgammon in its current state.
In order:
1) Host should be able to set points needed for a win. Gammon and backgammon coding may need to be added. (It's unclear if gammons or backgammons affect ELO currently)
2) Need a doubling cube option.
3) Should be able to take back first move.
4) Game is incredibly slow at the moment.
5) Option to turn pip count off?
ReelMcKoy

Re: Improvement Suggestions

Post by ReelMcKoy »

I agree very much with the idea of item 3 in your list. Many times, I've mistakenly moved while just checking positions. Very frustrating when you can't undo an error.

I would like to know what the thinking behind item 5 is. Why would it be of interest to a player to turn off the pip count? (I'm not that experienced with Backgammon)

Thanks!
Een

Post by Een »

Hi and welcome!
Backgammon has been adapted by a volunteer developer who is not around anymore. For now, no other developer volunteered to take over.
If a developer is a Backgammon fan and wants to give it a go, he may register on BGA studio and contact me to get access to this project.
BurritoBub

Post by BurritoBub »

New also:

1. Adjust timer down to 1 minute,
2. Ability to move pieces faster,
3. Ability to take-back (or control for release of move within timer),
4. Larger chat area so players can chat before setting table (not sure if this already exists), social, etc.,
5. Advertise site on pogo.com who are ending their java services and eliminating all java games soon,
6. Add cribbage!
7. Definitely add doubling option!
8. Great game. Keep it up.
9. One more thing. Just played someone and they conceded. We didn't really chat much. However, after this person conceded the game, they gave me a thumbs down. The rules say I'll be banned if I get 2 thumbs down? That doesn't seem fair.
Een

Post by Een »

BurritoBub wrote:New also:

1. Adjust timer down to 1 minute,
2. Ability to move pieces faster,
3. Ability to take-back (or control for release of move within timer),
4. Larger chat area so players can chat before setting table (not sure if this already exists), social, etc.,
5. Advertise site on pogo.com who are ending their java services and eliminating all java games soon,
6. Add cribbage!
7. Definitely add doubling option!
8. Great game. Keep it up.
9. One more thing. Just played someone and they conceded. We didn't really chat much. However, after this person conceded the game, they gave me a thumbs down. The rules say I'll be banned if I get 2 thumbs down? That doesn't seem fair.
Thanks for your suggestions.

You're welcome to post something on pogo.com about BGA for players who might be interested if you know where it's appropriate to do so.

About thumbs down, there is no rule like what you mention. Here is the FAQ section about reputation: https://boardgamearena.com/#!faq?anchor ... reputation
Galen_Mac_Byrne

Post by Galen_Mac_Byrne »

Hello - I'm new here too, just wanted to answer a couple ?'s and add my thoughts in case a developer does eventually volunteer to re-code this implementation.
I'm a strong tournament (match) player and I've been a low stakes money player (yes, I know this is not a venue for money games).

From TigerEyeVA's post -
1) Host should be able to set points needed for a win. Gammon and backgammon coding may need to be added. (It's unclear if gammons or backgammons affect ELO currently)
Match play, definitely needed. Multiple games can increase the total rank points won and lost. They can also be doubled for the doubling cube and for gammons and backgammons in single game play, though this will inflate rank score quickly and is abusable.
2) Need a doubling cube option.
Definitely agree. Coder make sure you have all the proper rules associated with it, especially the Crawford rule for match play.
3) Should be able to take back first move.
Definitely agree, it is proper backgammon rules that you can shuffle your checkers around and look at all possible plays before deciding on a move. There is no touch/move rule such as in Chess, though there IS a touch/doubling cube rule (if you touch the doubling cube, you must double).

From ReelMcKoy's post -
"I would like to know what the thinking behind item 5 is. Why would it be of interest to a player to turn off the pip count?"
It is considered a vital player skill to be able to do the pip count as needed, swiftly and accurately. I'd be fine with keeping it as is in regular single-game (skittles) play but have it disabled in match play or tournament play.

From BurritoBub's post -
1. Adjust timer down to 1 minute
There are several clock settings in backgammon tourney play, such as a 10-15 second/move timer delay, variable total match time per player, etc.
2. Ability to move pieces faster
Possible your mouse prefs need to be adjusted? Maybe the "show cursor to opponents" option slows it down? This is fixable with the clock delay as above, at least from a fairness to each player aspect. Doesn't help with frustration of a slow cursor though.
BeerInHand

Post by BeerInHand »

All I would like to see are more clock/speed options. Let's face it, a player should not take longer than 15 seconds for card games and other really basic games.

PLAYOK.com does have an interesting approach. It's a card only site. Players get a preset amount of time (I usually set my games to 7 minutes). That's the total amount of time a player gets in the game. It also has a 1 minute timeout clock, so you can't start and then wander off for the full 7 minutes. Obviously, this doesn't work for something like Terra Mystica. For Sabatuer or Coloretto and other basic games, it would be great. A game of Sabatuer shoudl not take 45 minutes.
Rolling Thunder

Post by Rolling Thunder »

When one selects a second checker too soon after the first has been moved, a red banner comes up that has to be clicked away before going back to selecting a second checker. It would speed the game up some, and be less annoying, if one could at least select the next checker while the game updates the situation for the first checker moved. Perhaps the second move could be queued while the game updates.
Phantasy4

Post by Phantasy4 »

I would want the option to change the look at the markers.
Now they looks really ugly marble-like markers with one fish eye.
Also the board looks ugly. should be in scaleable SVG like responsive layout for tablets and mobile phones.

Return to “Backgammon”