No response to dev request

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
IndianaScones

No response to dev request

Post by IndianaScones »

As a first time contributor, I made my first art request about a month ago, after about a month of familiarizing myself with the framework. I received an automated reply saying basically, you're in the queue but these things take time. Follow up after 2-3 weeks if you haven't heard back yet. So I followed up two weeks later, then again a week after that, and that was over a week ago. I still haven't ever received a response from a real human.

I understand that Essen just happened, and I saw the email they sent out to developers about how they were overhauling their system, but is it normal to go this long and not have any of my update requests responded to? I am patient but at this point I'm concerned that they just might not ever get back to me. Does anybody have an experience with this and/or any advice?
Fletcheese

Re: No response to dev request

Post by Fletcheese »

I would have expected at least a confirmation in that window, but it's possible that BGA needed to reach out to the publisher and that's the hold up with actually getting the game art. I recommend joining the dev Discord server which gives some additional insight around when/how requests are handled along with how busy the main guy (Jurica) is. I think there may have been some extenuating circumstances at least the last week or two that may have held up some requests.
SwHawk

Post by SwHawk »

Art requests can take time, sometimes a few months. In case you picked up an old licence, the admins need to check with the digital rights owner if they still allow BGA to adapt the game, which makes the delays even longer.

But as Fleetcheese said you can join the Discord server for developers to get more information.
IndianaScones

Post by IndianaScones »

Thanks guys, I didn't know about the Discord. I will check that out!

Yeah I realize the publisher might just not have gotten back to BGA, I just would have expected at least a quick response to my update request/s to let me know they've reached out and haven't heard back. I am considering when to cut my losses and pick a different game.
ufm

Post by ufm »

I'd recommend contacting the publisher before developing the game as you need publisher approval to get the game out of alpha anyway.
If you can't it will stay in alpha limbo regardless whether you have the art files or not.
Jonathan2004

Post by Jonathan2004 »

Hello,

I also have a project with no answer from BGA nor publisher (after 2 months and 2 email ping back to BGA in reply to "Art files request for XXX").
ufm wrote: 22 November 2022, 08:38 I'd recommend contacting the publisher before developing the game as you need publisher approval to get the game out of alpha anyway.
If you can't it will stay in alpha limbo regardless whether you have the art files or not.
So what is the right process to contact publisher(s) if not by the button "Request art files" (as specified in Studio wiki) ?
Contacting publisher directly would be giving them a proof of lack of process on BGA ? And how could they know who to trust individually ?

PS : no aggression in my post, only thinking about it.

PS 2 : I would have preferred if the games devs had access to issue tracking. As far as I know the ticket number I got in the email "Art files request for XXX" is not as useful.
ufm

Post by ufm »

Jonathan2004 wrote: 21 January 2023, 16:05 So what is the right process to contact publisher(s) if not by the button "Request art files" (as specified in Studio wiki) ?
Contacting publisher directly would be giving them a proof of lack of process on BGA ? And how could they know who to trust individually ?
BGA is seriously understaffed.
Actually the BGA admin who is in charge of BGA studio recommends contacting the publisher individually if possible, as doing so reduces quite a lot of work which goes to BGA directly.
However, as you said some publishers might not trust devs trying to establish a contact, requesting some form of proof or declining individual contact.
In that case you should do what as they say, like adding a publisher account to the project, or sending a mail through BGA studio as you did.

And well, getting responses from the publisher is not easy. It might be one of the hardest steps depending on the publisher, I'd say.
If BGA does not update your art file requests, probably the publisher hasn't answered the mail from BGA yet too.
Uthopia

Post by Uthopia »

I requested the files 3 weeks ago. In addition, it is stated that they are available immediately. I came back after 2 weeks with a message, but I got all the automatic reply. I contacted the publisher to get the agreement to implement the game and I received an answer the same day. Unfortunately, I did not ask about the files, considering that it is the responsibility of the BGA.
So should I ask for the files from the publisher without waiting for the BGA's answer?
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Uthopia wrote: 25 January 2023, 11:04 So should I ask for the files from the publisher without waiting for the BGA's answer?
Definitively.

Return to “Developers”