The terms Real-time and Turn-based are misleading

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
fruktansvärt

The terms Real-time and Turn-based are misleading

Post by fruktansvärt »

I have always felt this, so I looked it up to check if it was warranted. The Wikipedia article Turns, rounds and time-keeping systems in games uses different definitions than BGA. Real-time is when game-time progresses whether you're paying attention or not, as in simulation or multiplayer video games. Turn-based is how all (?) games on BGA works, game flow is partitioned into defined parts (turns, moves, plays), and the game waits until players are finished.

So BGA Real-time is not really real-time, and Turn-based is actually how all games on BGA are played. Confusing.

I would suggest using the terms "Online play" and "Offline play" instead.

Thoughts? Comments?
robinzig

Re: The terms Real-time and Turn-based are misleading

Post by robinzig »

I'm not sure that article is particularly useful - note the flag at the top of the page listing multiple issues as flagged by Wikipedia users and/or admins (I'm not familiar enough with editing on Wikipedia to know exactly what this means, but clearly more than a few people think there are problems with this). It also seems to be mostly talking about video games, despite the weasel "and other" words in the intro.

In online boardgame sites, not just BGA, as far as I understand it the 2 terms are widely used and understood to mean what BGA means by them. It makes sense to me: games are "real time" because you can (and should!) play the game in a continuous session, at the same time as the other players. In other words you are devoting a block of "real time" to the game, just as you would with an in-person boardgaming session. As opposed to turn-based where (unless multiple players are online at the same time and decide to take several moves in a row) you generally take your turn and then come back to it at a different time, whether later that day, the next day, or days or weeks later.
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

fruktansvärt wrote: 24 January 2023, 15:23 I have always felt this, so I looked it up to check if it was warranted. ...
Thoughts? Comments?
Are you a native English speaker? I am and the terms seem to fall entirely within the normal usage of the words. Your alternative suggestions seems much more confusing.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

Outside of a few board games* real time in 'your' definition make no sense.

*I've got 7 in bga, those not in alpha being Spot it, Concept, Reflection, Solo and the crew deep sea but i only know less than half of them
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

okay then.
Watno

Post by Watno »

Romain672 wrote: 25 January 2023, 01:39 Outside of a few board games* real time in 'your' definition make no sense.

*I've got 7 in bga, those not in alpha being Spot it, Concept, Reflection, Solo and the crew deep sea but i only know less than half of them
Which is why BGA shouldn't use that word. OP is right that the terms used are confusing, however the suggested alternatievs are even worse imo.
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

fruktansvärt wrote: 24 January 2023, 15:23 I would suggest using the terms "Online play" and "Offline play" instead.

Thoughts? Comments?
I've never had this confusion, but I can somewhat understand the point.

However, the terms you suggest are much more unclear. Better terms would be "synchronous" and "asynchronous".

The odds of them being changed are virtually non-existent though, seeing how embedded they are in the site and player base.
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

KongKing123 wrote: 26 January 2023, 02:10 Better terms would be "synchronous" and "asynchronous".
It's really the term "Turn-based" I have the most trouble with (as games are turn-based even when playing in Real-time).
Can we adopt half your suggestion and go for "Real-time" and "Asynchronous"?
KongKing123 wrote: 26 January 2023, 02:10 The odds of them being changed are virtually non-existent though, seeing how embedded they are in the site and player base.
Mmm, possibly. But the first step is starting a discussion.
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

Additionally, I've noticed that BGA inconsistently uses all three spellings: Turn based, Turn-based, Turnbased.
Yet another reason to change the term! ;)
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Yes, to add asynchronous, non-synchronous, offline, and off-line to the mix :P

Return to “Discussions”