Takeovers should not be used in arena

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
ccbitz

Takeovers should not be used in arena

Post by ccbitz »

Takeovers really should not be enabled for arena since they do not follow the rules of the game. Worlds added in the current settle phase are not supposed to apply to takeover attempts. (See https://en.boardgamearena.com/bug?id=7593 which has been open for years)

I admit, I’m especially upset right now since I was just burned by this bug. The game isn’t completely broken, but it definitely changes things a LOT.

Anyone else agree/disagree?
Wonderful Plays

Re: Takeovers should not be used in arena

Post by Wonderful Plays »

Agreed.
If there is a bug, there is no way this should be used in Arena.
bananasplay

Post by bananasplay »

ccbitz wrote: 18 January 2023, 05:08 Takeovers really should not be enabled for arena since they do not follow the rules of the game. Worlds added in the current settle phase are not supposed to apply to takeover attempts. (See https://en.boardgamearena.com/bug?id=7593 which has been open for years)

I admit, I’m especially upset right now since I was just burned by this bug. The game isn’t completely broken, but it definitely changes things a LOT.

Anyone else agree/disagree?
Agreed—buggy implementations should be excluded from a format that purports to determine a World Champion, particularly when such bugginess can easily be avoided by not including an optional expansion rule.
Please check my profile for a list of bugs that need upvotes so that BGA will maybe get around to fixing them.
obsidian octagon

Post by obsidian octagon »

RFTG on BGA still has a number of bugs that rarely come up in actual play, and this is one of them. I get the impression that fixing these remaining rare bugs is really complicated, so they are just left unfixed. All of the bugs that used to frequently occur (there was a frequent Prestige bug with BOW a while back) were fixed by galehar, and the game has been in a really playable state for a long time now.
ccbitz

Post by ccbitz »

obsidian octagon wrote: 20 January 2023, 06:48 RFTG on BGA still has a number of bugs that rarely come up in actual play, and this is one of them. I get the impression that fixing these remaining rare bugs is really complicated, so they are just left unfixed. All of the bugs that used to frequently occur (there was a frequent Prestige bug with BOW a while back) were fixed by galehar, and the game has been in a really playable state for a long time now.
100%
Overall the game is fantastic. It’s also amazing to have all expansions. With so much content available, we can still have variety while only enabling bug-free options for arena play.
I really wish takeovers worked, they are a super fun mechanic and perfect for arena.
obsidian octagon

Post by obsidian octagon »

ccbitz wrote: 21 January 2023, 18:10 With so much content available, we can still have variety while only enabling bug-free options for arena play.
Unfortunately there are still bugs with the base game and all of the expansions. None of them are completely bug-free, though some are more bug-free than others. And pretty much all of the bugs are rare, or are just accepted for now. If only bug-free expansions were allowed on Arena, then there would be no Arena for RFTG. In my opinion, all of the expansions are in great shape and good enough to be played on Arena with any of the options. However, that said, Alien Artifacts with Orb enabled should probably never be played in Arena. Though the Orb game is interesting, it's not hugely popular, and makes for a much longer game of Race. Draft mode should probably never be played in Arena either as it makes for a much longer game due to the setup.
Tark1999

Post by Tark1999 »

I agree as well. In my experience, take over rules can be "swingy", making for a less competitive game. The bug (which I haven't experienced myself, but am assuming is there) makes this even worse.

Return to “Race for the Galaxy”