Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
AK_Dude

Turn-based timing question

Post by AK_Dude »

Hello,

I have just started playing turn-based games on BGA and I am not understanding how it works. I have played turn-based games elsewhere and thought I knew how it worked.

I started playing a 1 move per day game about a week ago and I thought by the description each player had 1 day (24 hours) to make a turn. But someone on our game waiting over 24 hours to make a turn and yet still at over 47 hours to make the turn. How can this be? That looks like a 1 move per 3 days game, not a 1 move per day game.

Can someone please explain to me how turn-based games work on BGA?
Fletcheese

Re: Turn-based timing question

Post by Fletcheese »

1 move per day means that each move you take adds 24 hours to your game clock. If you make several moves in one day, you can bank extra time and take longer than 24 hours until your next move. The time bank maxes out at 3 times the time per move i.e. 72 hours in this case. More details here: https://boardgamearena.com/faq?anchor=faq_playing_clock
Gulchen

Post by Gulchen »

i.e., this is Capped Fischer Timing, with a cap that is comparatively low relative to the increment.

https://senseis.xmp.net/?CappedFischerTiming
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Except that here time seems to be added before each move. Not that it matters much, but it may be important if you're worried about how much time you have left: after you finish your turn it will be lower, it will go up when it's your turn again and start running down until you finish your turn.
sesc

Post by sesc »

Jellby wrote: 28 January 2023, 08:45 Except that here time seems to be added before each move. Not that it matters much, but it may be important if you're worried about how much time you have left: after you finish your turn it will be lower, it will go up when it's your turn again and start running down until you finish your turn.
If this annoys you as much as me, you can upvote this bug report: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=43136

I fear, as I created it one and a half year ago and nobody else voted on it, I am the only one, who likes to know how much time is there for the next move when finishing a move. Would help with weekend planning etc.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

sesc wrote: 30 January 2023, 10:25
Jellby wrote: 28 January 2023, 08:45 Except that here time seems to be added before each move. Not that it matters much, but it may be important if you're worried about how much time you have left: after you finish your turn it will be lower, it will go up when it's your turn again and start running down until you finish your turn.
If this annoys you as much as me, you can upvote this bug report: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=43136

I fear, as I created it one and a half year ago and nobody else voted on it, I am the only one, who likes to know how much time is there for the next move when finishing a move. Would help with weekend planning etc.
That's because it's notabug. The game devs can add time whenever they want in the code so it's really not a framework enforcment to add time as the beginning of a turn, just a usual thing done by devs. So if anyone would like to change that, it would require manual intervention on all the games to change the code.
sesc

Post by sesc »

Tisaac wrote: 30 January 2023, 11:29 That's because it's notabug. The game devs can add time whenever they want in the code so it's really not a framework enforcment to add time as the beginning of a turn, just a usual thing done by devs. So if anyone would like to change that, it would require manual intervention on all the games to change the code.
Oh, so each game developer has to take care, when time is added. I assumed the game developer just specifies, when it is the turn of a player and when not. That way, adding the time could be done by the framework. Which sounds a bit less error-prone than what we have right now.

But ok, I understand the framework works differently, so it is not an easy fix. A bit sad, it would have been a great improvement in my view, but if you have to change every game probably not worth the effort.
AK_Dude

Post by AK_Dude »

Thanks for the clarification. I think I now understand. I thought X moves per day was per player, but it's not. It is X moves per day per game. For example, 3 moves per day. Player 1 has 8 hours to make a move, then player 2 has 8 hours to make a move, then player 3 has 8 hours to make a move. If each player takes their full allowed time, that's 3 game moves in 24 hours.

I think I need to look for 8 to 12 moves per day games.

Return to “Discussions”