Reporting players who block - just why?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
thg0724

Re: Reporting players who block - just why?

Post by thg0724 »

dhnyny wrote: 28 January 2023, 04:48
thg0724 wrote: 26 January 2023, 06:36
dhnyny wrote: 25 January 2023, 20:07
When you create a game there's an inconspicuous link with the game options for you to add a "presentation," which is a text message that appears with the game's listing of open tables (assuming people are using "simple game" to find a game). So you could write something like "All blocking moves are welcome!" or "Casual game; no unnecessary blocking please" or whatever you want.
I can't find it.
At the bottom of Table Configuration. It says:

(no presentation yet) [modify]

You click on [modify] to add a "presentation" message.
At the top is "Number of players".

Below that is "Game Speed".

Next is a "Custom Options" drop down and below that a "turn order" drop down (when custom options is selected instead of default options).

I don't see any "presentation" option.
ManonIronteeth

Post by ManonIronteeth »

thg0724 wrote: 28 January 2023, 04:03 I do not see this quit button of which you speak.
ManonIronteeth wrote: 28 January 2023, 01:33
thg0724 wrote: 27 January 2023, 23:49 I don't think giving a penalty means they "allow it". If you get a speeding ticket and pay the fine, that does not mean speeding "is allowed". On the contrary, the penalty (and the mention in the Code of Conduct) is indication that it is not allowed.
They’ve literally implemented a button for it, ergo they allow it. If they didn’t allow it then there would be no quit button and the only way to leave a game early would be to run out of time and be kicked. Since that’s not the case BGA does allow it.
While playing any game if you click the hamburger button (three horizontal lines) in the top right corner, also where game preferences are, there is a quit game button. It’s below the concede and collectively abandon game buttons.
thg0724

Post by thg0724 »

There it is! Thanks. I imagine it is there so you can quit a game if there are game problems or if someone is being abusive. (Blocking is NOT abusive! :D ) While I cannot be sure, the FAQ instructions not to quit a game on purpose leads me to think I am right.
ManonIronteeth wrote: 28 January 2023, 05:34
thg0724 wrote: 28 January 2023, 04:03 I do not see this quit button of which you speak.
ManonIronteeth wrote: 28 January 2023, 01:33

They’ve literally implemented a button for it, ergo they allow it. If they didn’t allow it then there would be no quit button and the only way to leave a game early would be to run out of time and be kicked. Since that’s not the case BGA does allow it.
While playing any game if you click the hamburger button (three horizontal lines) in the top right corner, also where game preferences are, there is a quit game button. It’s below the concede and collectively abandon game buttons.
ManonIronteeth

Post by ManonIronteeth »

We will have to agree to disagree on the purposes of the quit button as well then, but you’re welcome for pointing out its location to you.

I really don’t think either of us is going to change the other person’s opinion on this topic so there isn’t much use in continuing to go back and forth. While I understand why others may want to play that way, I do not and don’t believe it’s a respectful way to play the game when it’s done in a malicious manner. Like I said, we’ll have to agree to disagree here. It’s been an interesting discussion, good luck in your future games.
thg0724 wrote: 28 January 2023, 22:54 There it is! Thanks. I imagine it is there so you can quit a game if there are game problems or if someone is being abusive. (Blocking is NOT abusive! :D ) While I cannot be sure, the FAQ instructions not to quit a game on purpose leads me to think I am right.

thg0724

Post by thg0724 »

I agree with you that to block for malicious reasons is unsporting. I don't believe playing to win within the rules is "malicious".

Thanks for the discussion.
ManonIronteeth wrote: 29 January 2023, 04:18 We will have to agree to disagree on the purposes of the quit button as well then, but you’re welcome for pointing out its location to you.

I really don’t think either of us is going to change the other person’s opinion on this topic so there isn’t much use in continuing to go back and forth. While I understand why others may want to play that way, I do not and don’t believe it’s a respectful way to play the game when it’s done in a malicious manner. Like I said, we’ll have to agree to disagree here. It’s been an interesting discussion, good luck in your future games.
thg0724 wrote: 28 January 2023, 22:54 There it is! Thanks. I imagine it is there so you can quit a game if there are game problems or if someone is being abusive. (Blocking is NOT abusive! :D ) While I cannot be sure, the FAQ instructions not to quit a game on purpose leads me to think I am right.

Chrisfs

Post by Chrisfs »

For a good number of people, blocking without having a trip to complete is considered rude and an unwritten rule.
In BGA's own tips, it says explicitly "that blocking is considered by some to be bad etiquette".
So you can hardly expect people to read that and then not get upset when it happens.
Personally for me, blocking makes the game less enjoyable. If people are more interested in blocking then completing, it leads to lower scoring, less completed trips and that leads to less game enjoyment for me.
You can play the way you want but don't be upset if people quit because they don't like your playing style., that's their right to do so.
You can keep playing after they quit. You won't get points, but are you really playing for points???? (they aren't worth anything), or are you playing for the fun of the game itself ?
Tulivuori

Post by Tulivuori »

Anyone can modify the tips. If you play by the rules (both game and BGA), then l don't see any unsportmanship.
Neevo77

Post by Neevo77 »

thg0724 wrote: 13 January 2023, 06:22 I had an opponent get stuck in Seattle today. They drew new destinations and quit before making a choice. I found them playing another game a couple minutes later. If anything gets reported, it should be this behavior.
Quitting because you’re frightened of losing is a bit sad.
john0607

Post by john0607 »

coffeelion322 wrote: 12 January 2023, 23:56 I've heard from a couple Ticket to Ride connoisseurs that they get threatened in the chat, rage quit on, or straight up reported if they block their opponents. My question is, what the hey? If someone clearly has a certain route that's going to get them a lot of points and the opponent has the opportunity to block it and increase their chance of winning, why shouldn't they? The goal is to get the most points, after all. I get that it's really frustrating when it happens to you, but getting angry at the opponent is childish. I would consider buying a hard copy of the game and playing it solo if you just want to build some train routes uninterrupted.
As I've stated before in other posts, the main goal is to have fun and, when people deliberately block at no positive benefit to themselves, that ruins the fun of the game for others. Unfortunately some people on BGA have a "win at all costs" mentality and don't get what the word "fun" means.

Having said that, I would never report them for that. Just block them
ktblu

Post by ktblu »

Interesting. So, I’m new to playing, and was getting crushed by advanced players that used blocking. I wasn’t offended, or mad, I just thought” oh, it’s like sports, with offense and defense. I’m clearly unskilled at defense so I’ll try and develop that skill for a few games and see what happens.” People get MAAAAAD! Lot of name calling. Quitting. I was shocked. When I play sports if a person has a move that is beating me, then I try to up my game in a way to counteract that. I’m seeing now that it’s considered something of poor sportsmanship so I’ll lay off. But also don’t really agree. It’s a part of the strategy and gameplay. It has risks and rewards.a person that does that too much isn’t building their own and may lose! For me the fun of games is trying out things and testing strategies.🤷🏻‍♀️

Return to “Ticket to Ride”