Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
JackyTheRipper

Re: Bring back Turn Based "No Time Limit + Friends Only"

Post by JackyTheRipper »

nik592 wrote: 23 January 2023, 08:04
Why does anyone want ELO? No one needs ELO to play, but people like to know how they rank, improve their rank, etc. For all intents and purposes my games with my friends are no different to my games with strangers, except maybe they take a little longer. Why are they less deserving of contributing to my (or my friends) ranks?
Exactly.

Where's the gain when they take away a feature from some people in order to please a few others who might get stuck in a game that never ends? How often does that even happen with friends (which the mode clearly emphasieses)?

So some people will get time penalties to avoid a situation where others might not be able to finish a game and, if they quit, get a penalty for leaving the game. Doesn't seem fair.
eugaet

Post by eugaet »

So...did everyone finally get tired of this issue not being addressed?
I have to imagine that was the outcome they were hoping for...

My circle would still like to play NTL casual games with each other while earning ELO and not racking up unavoidable penalties.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

Tired of it not being addressed? Definitely. Tired of the problem itself not begin sold. Yup. Giving up hope that BGA will revert this? No, not a chance!
Windrisen

Post by Windrisen »

For myself, this is upsetting enough that I am cancelling my premium membership.

The admins have demonstrated how little they care about how we feel, refuse to discuss this with us other than reposting copy-pasta, and their reasons have never made sense to me.

I really only play With Friends, Turn Based, No Time Limit. The fact that the admins refuse to discuss this with us, and refuse to roll this back, is just s disappointing, and I can't see continuing to support the site once my premium membership expires.

Maybe when/if enough of us just cancel our renewals, they will pay attention, but I honestly suspect that they simply do not care what we think, how we feel, or what we'd like from a site that we are supporting.

I have happily supported Board Game Geek for 20 years. And I'd be happy supporting this site, too, if we had responsive and caring site admins.
Tanjanica

Post by Tanjanica »

Still waiting for this to be addressed. This will never not be an issue as I play with friends and want to enjoy the full experience of playing board games online, which includes winning and losing ELO when playing a game.
Last edited by Tanjanica on 05 February 2023, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Philoupino

Post by Philoupino »

Bonjour,

Peut-on savoir où en est la réflexion du côté de BGA sur ce problème ? Va-t-il y avoir une réponse donnée par les administrateurs ou au moins une réaction face à cette vague de mécontentement massive et inédite ??
Je vois que la suggestion https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=78071 ("No time limit (friends only): Bring back turn based, block realtime"), qui serait un excellent compromis, a obtenu 237 votes en moins d'un mois, est-ce que ça ne vaut pas une réponse ?

Depuis la disparition de la fonctionnalité NTL+ELO, pas moins de 5 mises à jour du site ont eu lieu (cf. https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 9&start=40) mais aucune ne revient sur le changement qui pose problème... : où en est-on ?!
Et quels sont vos projets pour faire revenir ce que tout le monde attend ?
Ou au moins juste quand prévoyez-vous de donner une réponse ?...

Merci d'avance
-----
Hello,

Could we know what is going on within BGA concerning this topic? Will there be a response given by the administrators or at least a reaction to this vast and unprecedented wave of discontent??
I notice that the suggestion https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=78071 ("No time limit (friends only): Bring back turn based, block realtime"), which would be a great compromise, got 237 votes in less than a month, isn't that worth an answer?

Since the disappearance of the NTL+ELO functionality, 5 website updates have taken place (cf. https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 9&start=40) but none of them reverted the change that raised this mess... so now?
What are your plans to bring back what everyone asks for??
And could you at least respond on when we might get an answer?

Thanks
nik592

Post by nik592 »

Yep, I'm still keen to see this addressed. A friend of mine recently got two time penalties on games we were running at the slowest speed because she couldn't play for a while. We didn't boot her of course, and finished the games, but it seems unfair that she's now got time penalties because real life got in the way (especially when we who were playing with her couldn't care less about her being missing for a few days).
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

nik, please note that a time penalty is in fact no penalty. You can have 100 time penalties in your last 100 games and you will still stay at 100 karma.

In a recent game I was playing against a stranger and we both went over our time because we had a very interesting chat about Backgammon and its strategies. I did not even care about my time because I correctly assumed that he would not try to kick me.

That said, of course BGA should instantly repair the fact that unlimited ranked games are not possible anymore. Awarding unjustified time penalties is a very bad approach by BGA. But as long as BGA does not see the obvious, our only way as (paying) players is to ignore those penalties as best as we can.
nik592

Post by nik592 »

It is not a penalty against karma, correct, but it does still show you've run over time on x recent games on your profile. As others have noted, people still use this information to make decisions about people - do I really want to play with someone who has lots of time penalties? This person is running over time in my game, is this a habit with them, or just a one off? If the time penalties don't matter, then they shouldn't be shown on people's profiles. While they are, they are still used by others to make decisions about the reputation of a player.
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

You are correct. But since BGA provides a broken "time penalty" system we as players have to ignore it. We have to ignore it for our own stats and we have to ignore it also for other players´ stats.

We both agree that this situation is very unsatisfying, but at the moment we have no choice.

Paying members are in a better position since they can start their own games and thus their "penalties" are less important. And they have the choice to cancel their subscription if they want to show their dissatisfaction - several players have surely done exactly this because of the current issue.

Return to “Discussions”