Turn based games in arena mode

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Schmlfrd

Turn based games in arena mode

Post by Schmlfrd »

I would like to know your opinion about the following. One of the things that makes this game exciting other than the changing board's pattern is to play with a timer. You have a few minutes to try to predict "trajectories" for your initial action (I cannot see how to play this game without trying to foresee at least 3 turns in advance, of course this amount will be reduced as the game goes) and this is a source of mistakes (trajectories and insert actions flipping rings), otherwise I found the game not so challenging and maybe not worth to be played in online tournaments. It cannot be judged on the same basis turn-based games and real time games for Insert at least (6x6 board, 15 rings player,N-in-a-row type game), however players are competing for the same thing but under different conditions. Maybe I'm wrong and there is something that it is missing in my appreciation, (maybe there are doomed layouts for one of the players if the opponent plays on the right spot, and if it is true, with enough reflection time, you could find this or these spots, making it again not suitable for online tournaments). It is easier to win a game in turn-based mode than real time.
Ez0ah

Re: Turn based games in arena mode

Post by Ez0ah »

Well, technically you could make the same argument for any pure strategy game.

It’s not easier to win in turn base. There are not more winners in turn base than in real time. What you mean is that turn-base games favor people with an analytic approach of the game, compared to players who would act more on instinct.

I may be wrong but I haven’t seen an initial setup where victory is certain from the first placed ring. From this point, both players are free to spend all the time they want to check if the move they are making doesn’t allow the opponent to certainly win.
Meeplelowda

Re: Turn based games in arena mode

Post by Meeplelowda »

Ez0ah wrote: 03 February 2023, 13:45 Well, technically you could make the same argument for any pure strategy game.
Correct. This discussion about having separate Arenas for real-time and turn-based games pops up on here from time to time (not just for Insert). Yes, there is a difference, hence why formal chess federations have different ratings for standard time controls on the one hand, and fast time controls (rapid, blitz, etc.) on the other hand. But I don't perceive it as being a very high priority for BGA to establish separate tiers.

Return to “Insert”