Does the game just favor Tempo over Value?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
WIZWAR

Does the game just favor Tempo over Value?

Post by WIZWAR »

I've played this game a half dozen or so times and it SEEMS like the way to play is too nickel and dime the VPs with visitor cards, maybe throw in a few big wine orders in there, and bam! 20 victory points while the "value" players are still putting their shoes on.

More specifically, you should ALWAYS sell a wine field at the beginning of the game for money (tempo over value), you should (most of the time) play visitor cards for VPs (again, tempo over value), etc. I could be wrong that's my first impressions let's say.

All in all, the game feels a little too fast, or more specifically, the game is over before I get to enjoy the "engine" I've built. Does anyone agree, or is it just me? It makes me wonder if a 30 point variant would "work" and be fun.
Mad Meeple

Re: Does the game just favor Tempo over Value?

Post by Mad Meeple »

Hey WIZWAR,

I'd say it pretty much sums up my experience. The 30-point variant is a very interesting idea (25 could even be enough).

My learning (i.e., effort to copy strategies of those who bested me) while approaching this game with a bit of a competitive attitude was to ideally sell two wine fields (even more tempo) and essentially hope for the best possible luck on card draws (a - visitors, naturally, but also b - vines, as you might save yourself the need to build either trellis or irrigation, as well as c - wine orders that score high and match your vines).

The windmill and the tasting room are almost obsolete, in my experience, as the resources are generally better spent elsewhere.

When more players adopt that strategy, I'ver personally found the element of luck on the card draws and being able to make the optimal choices on player order to become more dominant in this one.

So yeah, I also see several ways any more elaborate engine is stopped in its tracks.

BR
Mad Meeple
Earthboundia

Post by Earthboundia »

Yeah I wholeheartedly see where you are coming from. I think the base game of Viticulture is more of a casual race to 20 VP where engine build up is usually not worth it unless you follow one or two specific strategies. This is one of the big reasons that many players prefer the Tuscany board, more VP to win, more strategic options as well. I appreciate that doesn't help given that BGA doesn't have Tuscany though.
WIZWAR

Post by WIZWAR »

Thanks for the replies. It really is a fun game regardless and I love the aesthetic. I was a bit disappointed when I found that certain strategies and choices don't really work. I'll have to try it with the Tuscany expansion out there in the real world.
tboard

Post by tboard »

WIZWAR wrote: 03 February 2023, 01:47 I've played this game a half dozen or so times and it SEEMS like the way to play is too nickel and dime the VPs with visitor cards, maybe throw in a few big wine orders in there, and bam! 20 victory points while the "value" players are still putting their shoes on.

More specifically, you should ALWAYS sell a wine field at the beginning of the game for money (tempo over value), you should (most of the time) play visitor cards for VPs (again, tempo over value), etc. I could be wrong that's my first impressions let's say.

All in all, the game feels a little too fast, or more specifically, the game is over before I get to enjoy the "engine" I've built. Does anyone agree, or is it just me? It makes me wonder if a 30 point variant would "work" and be fun.
Unfortunately, nobody cares enough to find out. The game's popularity has tanked.

Return to “Viticulture”