Why are almost all tournaments using the 2019 edition?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
November15th

Why are almost all tournaments using the 2019 edition?

Post by November15th »

We all know that the 2019 version is unbalanced...Whoever gets yellow tile 6 can win the game, which is very unfair to good players.Why can't there be more tournaments by the first edition? I think I'd be more than happy to participate, including many Arena players.
flolem

Re: Why are almost all tournaments using the 2019 edition?

Post by flolem »

I think it is the default option but people don't change... :?:

If your are prenium, you could easily create your own tournament as well ;)

2019 version is more balanced than original version except for the yellow tile 6.
I don't know if the dev is still here but suggestion has been upvoted many time to eitheir remove the yellow tile 6 (not the best) or keep the original rule effet.
flolem

Post by flolem »

I created one with the original edition.
I hope to see you there ;)

https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=195068
sunnypsyop

Post by sunnypsyop »

How is the 2019 version more balanced? The only difference that I'm aware of is they needed the knowledge tile where to you get 3 points per different color good sold to 2,but they made the game unplayable if someone gets knowledge 6 in the first or second round.
oranjon

Post by oranjon »

Here’s another 1st edition tournament:

https://en.boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=240676
SolaireLight

Post by SolaireLight »

I'm just starting to get into this game. Is it recommended to play the 2019 version with the unbalanced tile or just play the original version?
cowboy_dan

Post by cowboy_dan »

SolaireLight wrote: 07 October 2023, 15:49 I'm just starting to get into this game. Is it recommended to play the 2019 version with the unbalanced tile or just play the original version?
There are a lot of threads on this. You’ll find that top players tend to play 1st edition, identical boards. I personally like 1st edition random boards without 8.

For me, once someone gets yellow 6 in the new edition, they’re playing a different game (essentially take any tile from the board once per round), and that is why I stay away.
DoctorFianchetto

Post by DoctorFianchetto »

I'm pretty new to this game: can someone explain the difference between the 2019 edition and the first edition? Is yellow tile 6 different between these version?

Which version am I playing if I play Castles of Burgundy arena?
jackg_tor

Post by jackg_tor »

For a while, I was playing a lot of turn-based expert level games with a relatively small pool of players (who I didn't know). We discussed it in a community group and all agreed to play the 2019 version but with a house rule that yellow tile 6 could only be used to buy tiles with coins as in version 1. It worked well but it's hard to do when you're always playing with different players.

Return to “The Castles of Burgundy”