abuse time limit

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Jellby

Re: abuse time limit

Post by Jellby »

So orange and white are the same person, who carefully keeps orange in red so white can kick him out when convenient, and orange "accuses" blue of conspiring to turn attention away?
SwHawk

Post by SwHawk »

T_ROGE wrote: 25 January 2023, 18:57 So I think that if we just bring the clock every time back to (slightly above) 0 then this would not have been possible.
Even so, they would only have to wait for the late player to go overtime again, which could happen any turn, so problem wouldn't be solved...

My only advice would be to privately red thumb all three players if you think they were all in on this... That way you won't play against them in casual games... IIRC private red thumbs don't apply to tournaments or arena mode.
T_ROGE

Post by T_ROGE »

So orange and white are the same person, who carefully keeps orange in red so white can kick him out when convenient, and orange "accuses" blue of conspiring to turn attention away?
- Sorry, I made a typo (corrected now). Blue and white were friends. They didn't use the robber on each other and played multiple games together.
- Orange behaved okay, except for taking a long time to perform his first turn :)
Even so, they would only have to wait for the late player to go overtime again, which could happen any turn, so problem wouldn't be solved...

My only advice would be to privately red thumb all three players if you think they were all in on this... That way you won't play against them in casual games... IIRC private red thumbs don't apply to tournaments or arena mode.
Ok. Thanks for your answer. I'll give a red thumb to white and blue. Ok to play again with orange.
Keegan the Squirrel

Post by Keegan the Squirrel »

I think it would be nice for BGA to create a way to not allow expelling people the moment they turn to zero but maybe at 30 seconds...afterall, we all have something that can happen and you need to step away for a quick moment to find that the issue took longer than expected.
My karma is down because of this. My daughter is sick so I went to her because she was crying, I came back with less than 3 seconds in the negative and was expelled....by someone that was over 2 minutes in the negative....NOT COOL.

I also think that once you get to 75% or higher of game completion, we shouldn't be able to expel someone without them being gone for 1 minute or more. Plus, even if it is really close to the negative times, the first step should be that you have to play turn based and if the person stays negative for 5 minutes at that point, then you can expel them.

Just my two cents because I have seen several times now where I allow the negative time because we are actively playing and then the person realizes that they are losing so they go and expel me instead of conceding so that they get the points even when they are way over on the time limit. More players do that than anything I think one here.

Wish BGA could create a way to stop this.
sesc

Post by sesc »

Keegan the Squirrel wrote: 07 February 2023, 07:57 I came back with less than 3 seconds in the negative and was expelled....by someone that was over 2 minutes in the negative....
I would suggest that if a player is in the negative he cannot expell others unless the other player is even more in the negative than the expelling player.

Doesn't really make sense to me, that if someone is severall minutes negative, he can expell someone just one second after the other player goes negative. I know it is currently allowed, but I would consider that unsportsmanlike.
Keegan the Squirrel

Post by Keegan the Squirrel »

Exactly! I totally agree with this!
shrouded figure

Post by shrouded figure »

Keegan the Squirrel wrote: 07 February 2023, 07:57 came back with less than 3 seconds in the negative and was expelled....by someone that was over 2 minutes in the negative....NOT COOL.
In my opinion this is a loophole of the system that should be improved. People with negative clock have no right to kick others out for negative clock... pot calling the kettle black
Silene

Post by Silene »

sesc wrote: 07 February 2023, 21:57 I would suggest that if a player is in the negative he cannot expell others unless the other player is even more in the negative than the expelling player.
Good one. If you have a link to a suggestion, I'll vote on it.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
sesc

Post by sesc »

I just created a suggestion with this: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=80997

Upvote it, if you like it. ;)
pugsworth

Post by pugsworth »

I think we should create other incentives for people to play within the agreed times
At the moment there is no penalty for letting your clock run out unless someone kicks you out.

What about if your clock goes negative at anytime during the game you lose karma points? perhaps lose something like 2-5 karma points?
I think you should lose more points for a negative clock than you gain for a game without a negative clock (currently 1), so that there is a clear incentive for playing within the time consistently, while allowing for exceptional circumstances.

Additionally we could increase the karma requirement for participating in tournaments (currently 65) to 75 (which you get when signing up to BGA).

I think we're better to use automatic punishments more because they're less open to strategic abuse. Kicking a player out is also a pretty heavy penalty for a slightly negative clock, so it would be good to have a lighter penalty, (while retaining kickouts for more exceptional circumstances).

of you want you can vote for this idea at https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=81001

Return to “Discussions”