USA - Tutorial Observation

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
SquashEngineer

USA - Tutorial Observation

Post by SquashEngineer »

For _Rita_

Some Tutorial Observations for Boomerang: USA
(note this is my first time through USA ever)
(note I have played Australia)

a. [removed]

b. There are a number of Tutorial Text boxes that are obscured by the (Quit the Tutorial) top banner.
Example text box containing "Finally, under the two symbols, there's ..."

c. The tutorial notes that "... scoring Activities is always optional ... " and that a player MAY skip scoring an Activity in a round. Is there any strategic reason someone might skip a round of scoring in an Activity, given that they can each only be scored once per game?

d. At the start of the Scoring Summary section of the Tutorial, a couple of things occur in the first couple of Text boxes:
- the first Text box skips past too fast, and disappears before it can be read. (Text starts with "The Rest ..." - couldn't read any more)
- the next text box is partially covered on the top by the top banner, and the bottom by the game board. Scrolling does not reveal the top of the text box, where some instructions are obscured.

e. Some of the scoring criteria are never explained:
- Blue Activities can be collected in any order.
- Green Americana scores are doubled if player collects 6 points or lower? ( is this true given the different scoring in USA? How are multiple collections of Green scores accounted for throughout any one round?) (our opponent only had 6 points in the green symbols - yet their final scored was 12?
(3x Jersey means what??)
_Rita_

Re: USA - Tutorial Observation

Post by _Rita_ »

Dear SquashEngineer,
Thanks for the observations, however unfortunately I'm afraid there's not much I can do about them, but let me explain:

b,d.: Please let me know if there's anything I can do to avoid the inconvenience, but I think that unfortunately the display differs by device (consequently so do the problems)... I have checked the problems you mentioned on my devices and unfortunately they didn't occour, so I don't really know how I could fix them.. 😕 Besides, I don't know if you're familiar with the tutorial maker interface, but it's quite limited, so I cant't really move the textboxes anywhere, their position usually automatically depends on the item they refer to... 😔

The disappearing textbox you mentioned is also a problem I did not really understand as the tutorial is supposed to only move on when you click somewhere (or the continue button)... Again, this problem did not occur for me so I din't really know what to do about it, but I'm happy to try if anyone can give me some guidance how to...

C.: I think there might be. I can imagine a scenario in which you could not collect too many activities of the types you can still score and you're hoping to be luckier in the following round. If you score something anyway, that lowers your chances of making a bigger collection in the next round.

E.: - Yes , blue activities can be collected in any order, but I assumed that this was obvious, because at the end of the round you get to choose the one you wish to score.
- I think you misunderstood something here. The scores were not doubled, our opponent got 12 points, because they collected 12 points exactly. (1x1+1x2+3x3)
(3xJersey means that they collected 3 of that item)

I hope I could answer everything. Let me know if there's anything else I can do 🙂

Return to “Boomerang: USA”