Time etiquette?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
filmbuffCJ

Time etiquette?

Post by filmbuffCJ »

How long do people let the clock run before hitting the "skip players out of time" button? I know this is a game that requires thought and planning, but I also know the turn timer is there to keep things moving and it can be frustrating seeing someone go into the red multiple turns in a row.
RicardoRix

Re: Time etiquette?

Post by RicardoRix »

up to you...

do you prefer playing anyway, or an automatic win?
LDB62

Post by LDB62 »

I think it's not necessary as long as the opponent is playing cards. If they have gone AWOL at start or during middle of the game and are not responding, hit SKIP anytime. I also think that it is very difficult to get time in the game. If you contemplate a play early in game and run low in time, it's almost impossible to recover. You get time warnings on every turn because no time gets added back during opponents moves. I would like to see a minor change on how the time is added at start of turn or maybe you could also get a minor addition after you play each set or run (5-10 sec. max).
Ginevra49

Post by Ginevra49 »

Credo che il giocatore che da fuori tempo, dovrebbe ricevere automaticamente un avviso e poi, dopo 5 sec. essere espulso automaticamente, a meno che l'avversario decida di tenerlo in gioco.
tchobello

Post by tchobello »

LDB62 wrote: 09 September 2022, 05:18 I think it's not necessary as long as the opponent is playing cards. If they have gone AWOL at start or during middle of the game and are not responding, hit SKIP anytime. I also think that it is very difficult to get time in the game. If you contemplate a play early in game and run low in time, it's almost impossible to recover. You get time warnings on every turn because no time gets added back during opponents moves. I would like to see a minor change on how the time is added at start of turn or maybe you could also get a minor addition after you play each set or run (5-10 sec. max).
You always get extra time at the start of your turn.
The amount of time is automatically calculated and also depends on speed option chosen when creating the game.

That's part of the game here. Deal with time.

Of course, some people tend to expell you ASAP : red thumb them and you won't play with them any more.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

tchobello wrote: 13 January 2023, 16:30 Of course, some people tend to expell you ASAP : red thumb them and you won't play with them any more.
Of course, you can. But remember that those people are within all their right to expel you as soon as your time goes red. They're doing nothing wrong. Even if you politely explain your reasons to run out of time, they can also politely expel you: the game was started with some time rules and you broke them. They could have been more flexible, but they don't need to, and maybe they also have some reasons why they cannot wait longer.

So yes, red-thumb whoever you want for whatever reason, but don't put the blame on those who follow the rules.
tchobello

Post by tchobello »

Jellby wrote: 13 January 2023, 18:11
tchobello wrote: 13 January 2023, 16:30 Of course, some people tend to expell you ASAP : red thumb them and you won't play with them any more.
Of course, you can. But remember that those people are within all their right to expel you as soon as your time goes red. They're doing nothing wrong. Even if you politely explain your reasons to run out of time, they can also politely expel you: the game was started with some time rules and you broke them. They could have been more flexible, but they don't need to, and maybe they also have some reasons why they cannot wait longer.

So yes, red-thumb whoever you want for whatever reason, but don't put the blame on those who follow the rules.
Of course...
but when you're in a 4+ player game near the end ( 500+ moves) and someone expels another on very first time he's below, you might not appreciate having wasted your time and tend to put the blame on the one ruining the game.
I find this less annoying than people always taking 90 sec to play their move even if they "follow the rules" too.
FauBaRR

Post by FauBaRR »

I can't play with very short time when there is a complicated situation to close the move. I wanted to know if it is still possible to make a suggestion to change the play time to 5 minutes in this case. My karma is bad because they kicked me out every game. And I'm already the worst scorer at the elite level this season.

Return to “Machiavelli”