Please make "Simultaneous harvests" an option

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Alloran

Please make "Simultaneous harvests" an option

Post by Alloran »

I believe that harvests should be simultaneous. I am currently playing a 5 player game, and there are so many harvests that each take so many individual steps, and for each one you have to wait for each player to take each step, and they have almost no interaction among the players. I can think of fringe cases where what someone else does might influence what you do for the harvest, but it's so minor that for most games I believe it's not worth the additional ~hundred turns they add to the game. I think there should be an option when you are creating the game for either "turn-based" harvests (like the current functionality) or "simultaneous harvests" (where as soon as you go into the harvest phase, everyone does their own personal harvest). The people who really care about being able to see what other people do for their harvest can keep using the current functionality, while people who don't care can make their games a week shorter.
Tisaac

Re: Please make "Simultaneous harvests" an option

Post by Tisaac »

Alloran wrote: 05 January 2023, 15:44 I believe that harvests should be simultaneous. I am currently playing a 5 player game, and there are so many harvests that each take so many individual steps, and for each one you have to wait for each player to take each step, and they have almost no interaction among the players. I can think of fringe cases where what someone else does might influence what you do for the harvest, but it's so minor that for most games I believe it's not worth the additional ~hundred turns they add to the game. I think there should be an option when you are creating the game for either "turn-based" harvests (like the current functionality) or "simultaneous harvests" (where as soon as you go into the harvest phase, everyone does their own personal harvest). The people who really care about being able to see what other people do for their harvest can keep using the current functionality, while people who don't care can make their games a week shorter.
Create a suggestion and let's see how many players upvote it. This feature would require a tremendeous amount of code though.
I would rather implement some kind of ways to program what you are going to do, and especially "i dont want to use rubies" because that's actually the only reason why harvest are paused that much compared to agricola, otherwise most of them would be resolved completely automatically.
aztrorisk

Post by aztrorisk »

+1

I think this will shorten the game time about 20-30 minutes per game. I can help implement this feature if you need more volunteers.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

aztrorisk wrote: 03 February 2023, 23:08 +1

I think this will shorten the game time about 20-30 minutes per game. I can help implement this feature if you need more volunteers.
Sure, help is always welcomed. Do you have a studio account already ?
Phung7

Post by Phung7 »

+1 especially last harvest, where everything is fixed already, just exchange your rubies upfront, or play all simultaneously. we're in a 5 player game resolving that for more than a week.
Moss Doerksen

Post by Moss Doerksen »

+1!
MacDuc

Post by MacDuc »

Tisaac wrote: 05 January 2023, 19:40
Alloran wrote: 05 January 2023, 15:44 I believe that harvests should be simultaneous. I am currently playing a 5 player game, and there are so many harvests that each take so many individual steps, and for each one you have to wait for each player to take each step, and they have almost no interaction among the players. I can think of fringe cases where what someone else does might influence what you do for the harvest, but it's so minor that for most games I believe it's not worth the additional ~hundred turns they add to the game. I think there should be an option when you are creating the game for either "turn-based" harvests (like the current functionality) or "simultaneous harvests" (where as soon as you go into the harvest phase, everyone does their own personal harvest). The people who really care about being able to see what other people do for their harvest can keep using the current functionality, while people who don't care can make their games a week shorter.
Create a suggestion and let's see how many players upvote it. This feature would require a tremendeous amount of code though.
I would rather implement some kind of ways to program what you are going to do, and especially "i dont want to use rubies" because that's actually the only reason why harvest are paused that much compared to agricola, otherwise most of them would be resolved completely automatically.
Have you created the suggestion? It's a nice idea. - On the other hand: not that easy indeed, but programmers are logical people, and, persistent, and, they will succeed :D I even wanna help testing, no probem!
Alloran

Post by Alloran »

Just created the suggestion, see here:

https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 03#p170003

Return to “Caverna”