INSERT AND PIE RULE!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Ma Rosa Elena Valdiv

INSERT AND PIE RULE!

Post by Ma Rosa Elena Valdiv »

Could someone please explain why this game doesn't count with pie rule option?
Meeplelowda

Re: INSERT AND PIE RULE!

Post by Meeplelowda »

Ma Rosa Elena Valdiv wrote: 19 February 2023, 20:33 Could someone please explain why this game doesn't count with pie rule option?
What is the pie rule?
Ma Rosa Elena Valdiv

"A rule used in certain strategy games for the purpose of fairness, where immediately after the first player's initial move the opposing player may optionally switch, taking over the first player's role and position for the rest of the game"
Shobu

Post by Shobu »

Could be interesting to have 1p win rate

Edit: answered https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 41#p123041
Ma Rosa Elena Valdiv

In most of the layouts i have seen it is possible to find positions, that are really strong. What does it mean? You play first and after your opponent plays you can put two rings close together,.then three rings, that's a lot for a 6x6 board, and the options you have as second player are very limited, so no good reply. This makes this game not so enjoyable. To make five Ina row you need to put first two In a row. P1 already did and she makes you play in a position with two or three possible moves. So P1 plays first, then puts two in a row and then tells you what to do next, come on! Lol
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Shobu wrote: 20 February 2023, 02:50 Could be interesting to have 1p win rate

Edit: answered https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 41#p123041
I'd forgotten about that other thread. Now I get what it means. At first I didn't get that it's referring to how two people can fairly divide something, like a pie. :lol: The first person cuts, then the second person chooses. So the first person is incentivized to divide as fairly as possible (to them) so that they will be happy with whichever piece (or position in a game) is left for them. Interesting idea. Are there any games of BGA that implement it?

By the way, there is a fun video that discusses the 3-person pie rule algorithm here (and alludes to the complexities of the n-person rule for n>3).
Ma Rosa Elena Valdiv

Interesting information!
Yes, connect 4, gomoku, hex are some examples, but GOMOKU and connect 4 also apply swap rules after playing three turns, and the second player might decide if they want to play first or not
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

Battle of Lits is another game where the pie rule is implemented. With good reason in that game, for sure.

For Insert, the problem is less obvious. Not saying there isn't a first player advantage. It's just not so obvious from my own experience.

Return to “Insert”