Thank you guys!!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Quentin54

Thank you guys!!

Post by Quentin54 »

https://imgur.com/e256aJN
https://imgur.com/HhI6lrm

Thoun is praised even in Essen, Germany! :D

Thank you for your message Voriki, IELLO thanks all the King of Tokyo community on Board Game Arena.

I hope you enjoyed playing the game during the past year, we will meet again soon for a new surprise... that I think you will like! :P

xoxo

Quentin,
Project Manager at IELLO
thoun

Re: Thank you guys!!

Post by thoun »

Thanks Quentin for the picture and the kind words :)
And thanks Voriki too, for the help sorting the bug reports, allowing me to save some time to prepare the surprises !
voriki

Post by voriki »

I'm happy someone else also found the message.

I am very grateful for Thouns efforts, more than words can bring forth.

King of Tokyo brings back a joy I haven't experienced ever since I was a youthful guy. Back when I was a teen/adolescent I enjoyed Yu-Gi-Oh, which I enjoyed throughly, the interaction of cards, combos and strategies... and in the middle of a game throw your strategy overboard and go into another direction. But after a couple of years it dawned on me that Trading Card Games quite often are a pay-to-win game, generally the one laying the most cash, has the best cards, and then it all comes down to using them correctly. Same goes for Pokemon TCG and Magic the Gathering, the last being also from the brilliant had of Richard Garfield.

So I swore off TCG games, and focussed on other ventures, stopped playing games. I tried some games here and there, but lacked people around me to do it, and with limited social skills it's hard to approach new people.
And then I came to BGA, and then KoT also came to BGA. I had played KoT maybe 3 times before, but the feeling wasn't as glamorous as it is now.
KoT brings forth so many elements that I enjoy, different powers, but we all play from the same deck, roll the same die, and creates equal opportunities for all players.

Just like TCG, there are also expansions, but they don't come as often as new booster packs from TCG come out. It doesn't feel as suffocating and is more manageable. Ofcourse your wallet is also more grateful for it.
I did invest quite some money in building my collection, promotional material. Collecting monsters is more from aestitics and I only get the ones I like.

Then comes King of Monster Island, joining the gang of Tokyo and New York(I sure hope that gets a release on BGA too, someday, but that's up to IELLO).
And it was an opportunity to broaden my horizon, step out of my comfort zone, make a last assault on my bank account for 2022, and experience Essen 2022, and get my hands on Monster Island. I had also a brief chat with one of the guys coordinating the event there, looking forward to future adventures, especially in the "King Of-series".

And I was pleasantly surprised there were also some goodies passed out.
Purchasers of KoMI got a Crystal Dragon Monster Board, as if it joined the side of good after being freed from Lavalords control.
Limited quantity King of Tokyo: Collector Dice, there were already gone the 2nd day.
And they had for sale:Ka-Boomer, Nian, Ibong Adarna, Quetzalcóatl and Ikari-Oh, many which were featured here on BGA on the World Tour event. And the Even More Wicked micro-expansion.
So overal a good haul.

Now my body feels a bit broken from all the walking and carrying, my mind from facing the crowds.
Returning home tomorrow, sure really hope there won't be any other goodies I'll be missing out.

Thank you Thoun
Thank you Richard Garfield
Thank you Team IELLO

PS: if any people love the game as much as I do and looking for another person to play with, preferably in Belgium, Antwerp, Brussels, or inbetween those cities, feel free to hit me up.
FitBoy

Post by FitBoy »

voriki wrote: 07 October 2022, 20:24 I'm happy someone else also found the message.

I am very grateful for Thouns efforts, more than words can bring forth.

King of Tokyo brings back a joy I haven't experienced ever since I was a youthful guy. Back when I was a teen/adolescent I enjoyed Yu-Gi-Oh, which I enjoyed throughly, the interaction of cards, combos and strategies... and in the middle of a game throw your strategy overboard and go into another direction. But after a couple of years it dawned on me that Trading Card Games quite often are a pay-to-win game, generally the one laying the most cash, has the best cards, and then it all comes down to using them correctly. Same goes for Pokemon TCG and Magic the Gathering, the last being also from the brilliant had of Richard Garfield.

So I swore off TCG games, and focussed on other ventures, stopped playing games. I tried some games here and there, but lacked people around me to do it, and with limited social skills it's hard to approach new people.
And then I came to BGA, and then KoT also came to BGA. I had played KoT maybe 3 times before, but the feeling wasn't as glamorous as it is now.
KoT brings forth so many elements that I enjoy, different powers, but we all play from the same deck, roll the same die, and creates equal opportunities for all players.
It's true that in some Trading Card Games, the player who spends the most money on cards can often have an advantage over those who don't. However, there are also ways to play these games without spending a lot of money, such as by building decks with budget cards or participating in drafts or sealed events.

It's also worth noting that not all games are pay-to-win. Some games have more balanced mechanics or rely more on skill and strategy than on having the best cards. King of Tokyo, for example, is a game where everyone has access to the same abilities and there is no advantage to having better cards.

Return to “King of Tokyo”