Blocking in 2p

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Disco DG

Re: Blocking in 2p

Post by Disco DG »

I just wanted to say I absoloutedly agree with Squash Engineer (and other), but I think his comment nails it.

It's nasty by desing. The design of the game is that you *see* the opponents board. Blocking is hardwired inot the two player game.

Let the (good natured and kind hearted) two player battles commence!

Disco
Mickey45

Post by Mickey45 »

Propaganda_Panda wrote: 24 February 2023, 17:50
Mickey45 wrote: 26 January 2023, 02:40 I’ve never posted on the forum before but like you I’ve had loads of players complaining at me lately. A player just said that he never took my colours, but surely the object of the game is to win. I’ve also been on the receiving end of being blocked and although it’s not nice I don’t complain and take it as that players way of being strategic. Surely Azul is a game to play either friendly or dirty if the player wants to play a friendly then they should say so at the start of the game. I’m not a mind reader so don’t know if someone is going to block me or not. I play to win. 2p Azul is all about blocking. Why do people have to be such sore losers? It’s a game and all the complaints just make the game miserable to play and I only play Azul. I think people need to toughen up and accept it’s part of the game. Is that unreasonable of me to think like that?
Ignore those people, they're just salty. What you are doing is absolutely fine.

Knowing how to block the opponent is arguably the biggest skill in 2p Azul. Without it, 2p wouldn't make any sense at all and the skill cap would be severely lowered.

If people just want to build their own tableau in peace, fine. I understand that some players just don't like games with negative interaction. But then do this at home with your own playing group. To expect pacifist play on a fricking competitive boardgame website is just delusional.
I completely agree with you mate
vamoscosmos719

Post by vamoscosmos719 »

I read a comment on a stream one time saying

"The most highly competitive games usually are determined by how much you hurt your opponent"

That, I feel, applies to most board games in a competitive environment, especially Azul.
Vjekoslav_Nemec

Post by Vjekoslav_Nemec »

Complaining about blocking in 1v1 Azul is the same as complaining your opponent is mean in chess because they are capturing all your pieces.
RantySun

Post by RantySun »

I hadn't considered that some people think it's dirty- I was thinking of it as a play from the defence (when it's strategic). Then someone said they were going to report me because I have no strategy and am just blocking their moves. I said it was my strategy- to use play from defence- but they'd blocked me!
jquebc

Post by jquebc »

This is really starting to wind me up now. I’ve had two moaning in chat about blocking - “it’s not how I like to play”. Last one in Arena. Do people think this a co op game where we can both make pretty patterns?
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

jquebc wrote: 23 June 2023, 14:43 This is really starting to wind me up now. I’ve had two moaning in chat about blocking - “it’s not how I like to play”. Last one in Arena. Do people think this a co op game where we can both make pretty patterns?
Yes, they do. We have the same issue on Ticket to Ride, just ignore them: they are whiny inepts who just want free solitaire wins and cry if they don't get em. The best thing you can do about it is to keep beating them until they realize this game is not for them
jquebc

Post by jquebc »

Thank you. Sorry for the vent. I‘d only seen blocking as another glorious other level of strategy. Hard to defend yourself against people saying, “well, you can’t do that” when you’re only trying to be nice to people on here. I don’t have to be nice but I’d rather not go there. Ignore as you say.
jesslc

Post by jesslc »

I'm not fond of how cutthroat Azul is at 2p, so I just play 3 player games. If only the people you've had to deal with would realise this super easy solution to their complaint... :roll:

Everyone would be happy - they won't encounter people who deliberately try to block them and you wouldn't have to listen to their whinging. You could try suggesting that they stick to 3 or 4p Azul if they want a less cutthroat game but I don't know how much good it'll do if they haven't managed to work this out for themselves yet. It literally only took me a few games at a variety of player counts to work out that 3p is the sweet spot (for me).
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

jesslc wrote: 25 June 2023, 15:25 I'm not fond of how cutthroat Azul is at 2p, so I just play 3 player games. If only the people you've had to deal with would realise this super easy solution to their complaint... :roll:

Everyone would be happy - they won't encounter people who deliberately try to block them and you wouldn't have to listen to their whinging. You could try suggesting that they stick to 3 or 4p Azul if they want a less cutthroat game but I don't know how much good it'll do if they haven't managed to work this out for themselves yet. It literally only took me a few games at a variety of player counts to work out that 3p is the sweet spot (for me).
I look at everyone's boards - especially in 3 or 4 player. It's often possible to put the gears to two or three opponents simultaneously, by choosing strategically on your turn. Often there will only be one available choice for multiple opponents, and I look to ensure I have denied them of it, or force them to fight over it. It's great when everyone but yourself has to take floor tiles, and you've also loaded up your 4 and 5 piece tile rows!!!! :P

Return to “Azul”