Is it possible to avoid playing with trade-hiders?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
ManonIronteeth

Re: Is it possible to avoid playing with trade-hiders?

Post by ManonIronteeth »

el cosimo wrote: 13 October 2022, 09:31 I don’t see the problem.. it is the same when they always reject too.. then I like it better that they turn the option on. So they don’t slow down the game by always wait and reject.

I just found not people use it good. I turn it always on when we are at 75% because trading then is just giving points away
My thoughts exactly
sjheck

Post by sjheck »

I frequently turn off trade notifications with the "until I gain resources" option. Or I will set the option to only notify me when the person wants a resource I have. (For example, if I don't have a settlement on brick, I don't want a notification when someone is looking for brick.) But I don't often turn off trade notifications altogether.
tboard

Post by tboard »

Cos- wrote: 12 October 2022, 17:38 I HATE playing this game with people who set their trades to off so they just don't see trades. It really really ruins the game for me. I would always rather abandon the game than keep on playing, if someone is doing that. I also think it's a truly asshole way to play, and that anyone who does that is someone I never want to play any game on BGA with.

Fortunately, it's uncommon, and most games I play don't have any trade-hiding players. But it sucks to get a few moves into a game and only then find out one of the other players is the sort who wants to turn off trades. This leads to a discussion in the chat - except sometimes they never see the chat nor respond - and then a long wait to abandon the game.

What I'd much prefer is to either make it clear at the start that this table is NOT for anyone who intends to turn off trades, so that such people just don't join the table, or some way to disable that option entirely on the tables I create.

Is it possible to do either of these things?
This guy should see how 2 player Castles of Burgundy is played....
ChuckG68

Post by ChuckG68 »

I do that to people who spam trades and make the game take way longer. Learn that NO/REJECT means no then move on with your turn, if someone has an alternate trade option they'll do it, otherwise if you get REJECT from all other players then move on.

It's that simple

The game allows us an option to just close the trade window so that we don't have to click reject over n over if we chose not to. No different than you sitting across from me at a table and I give you the blank stare when you offer a trade.
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

It's not that simple. What I'm talking about is people who just turn off trades so they don't see the first offer. It's not about spamming trades.

In the suggestion I posted on the suggestions/bugs forum, I wrote,

"If the option is set to no, then people can only disable trades in response to a trade offer, and that setting will only last until the end of the current player's turn. So, everyone will see a player's first trade offer on their turn, every time, even though they may choose to not see any further trade offers on that same turn."

https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=74393

So that would take care of your spamming concern; if someone actually does the thing you describe and keep offering the same trade on the same turn, you'd be able to turn their trades off for the rest of their turn even if this optional table feature were set.

Return to “Catan”