Gaining Big Points at End

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
snowOlf92

Gaining Big Points at End

Post by snowOlf92 »

Could some one please tell me how the points system works, at the end of the game.
I just played a game. We were all excellent/average players. Under 200 points.
For some reason the person who won got 34 points, I had 4 Catan points, the other 5 Catan points and the guy who won only had 10 straight points (not using any VP). I've seen this happen a couple of times and I'm really curious.
Thoughts?
Jellby

Re: Gaining Big Points at End

Post by Jellby »

Do you mean the ELO score? See https://boardgamearena.com/faq?anchor=faq_account_elo

The only thing that matters is whether you win or lose (or your position), your ELO, your opponents' ELO, and how many games you've played so far. That means it doesn't matter by how much you win or lose, which cards you use, how much time you take, etc.
Cos-

Re: Gaining Big Points at End

Post by Cos- »

Just to be clear, it sounds like what you're talking about isn't "points" as in some sort of score, it's your _rating_. That's not meant to indicate scores in a competition exactly, though it's somewhat similar, but what it's trying to indicate is an estimate of your skill level at the game compared to other players of the same game on BGA. So the general idea is if you beat players whose rating is lower than yours, that's expected, and your rating doesn't change much; same if you're beaten by players with higher ratings than yours. If you win or lose to players with ratings similar to yours, that changes your rating more, because it wasn't really expected that you'd win or lose to them. And if you beat someone with a much higher rating than yours, that bumps your rating up a lot, for the obvious reason that someone with a much lower rating was expected to lose, and you won, so your rating must need a significant adjustment.

Return to “Catan”