Sensei Opening

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
LoreMike

Sensei Opening

Post by LoreMike »

What's the best opening for you?
Shobu

Re: Sensei Opening

Post by Shobu »

Is this game the Diaballik re-implementation? If so, it seemed there's a pretty big 1st player advantage.
But apparently there are variants, so i'm not sure how the metagame has evolved
SwHawk

Post by SwHawk »

Shobu wrote: 26 January 2023, 23:45 Is this game the Diaballik re-implementation
Yes it is
Garisvar the Good

Post by Garisvar the Good »

Shobu wrote: 26 January 2023, 23:45 Is this game the Diaballik re-implementation? If so, it seemed there's a pretty big 1st player advantage.
But apparently there are variants, so i'm not sure how the metagame has evolved
Yes, it's Diaballik - exactly the same if you play the main Arashi variant.

Suzukana version is much more ponderous (tiles move just one square at a time)

the EXPERT board adds in 3 pit squares that give a slightly different take on tactics & strategy.

FIRST PLAYER ADVANTAGE (Arashi) - yes, like in chess, it's there (particularly amongst the more experienced players). It's significant, but minimal...

Chess is generally around the 52 -55% / 48 -45% mark between white and black and Sensei is probably pretty similar from what I've played on BGA and face to face?

It's a fascinating balance between attack and defence with three basic approaches from what I've seen so far...

Some players seem to take chances from the very beginning and leave themselves open to potential counter - moves as they immediately try and push towards victory.

Some play quite a balanced game - probing for victory whilst trying to keep their defence reasonably tight.

Others (probably including me most of the time :)) play quite attritional tactics - keeping it as tight as possible and then suddenly trying to strike out at the appropriate moment with a (hopefully) winning sequence of moves.

Like with chess, I think it's important to think at least 2 moves ahead if you want to play at a slightly higher level...preferably 3 or 4?

Return to “Sensei”