replacing question marks

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
So_Willow

replacing question marks

Post by So_Willow »

Would it be possible to, instead of using question marks and clicking every time to get infos, do as in Wngspan? In that game, when we pass our cursor on a card, it pops so we can read them easily. I think t'would work better. My 2 cents.
bennygui

Re: replacing question marks

Post by bennygui »

The problem with hovering to get info is that it doesn't work well or at all on mobile. This is why I used this way. Note that once you are in this "detail window" you can use arrows and/or the small menu at the top to navigate between your hand, your player board, the fauna board and more. So no need to close the window and reopen it for the next card in your hand.
Bennie K

Post by Bennie K »

I like the idea for the question marks for mobile, but for desktop, a hover tooltip would be amazing. Can you do both?
bennygui

Post by bennygui »

I do not plan to do both tooltips and the "?" buttons that are already there. The buttons are far more versatile: you can move between cards, flag them, change between your hands and other parts of the game...
le7337

Post by le7337 »

bennygui wrote: 01 March 2023, 14:02 I do not plan to do both tooltips and the "?" buttons that are already there. The buttons are far more versatile: you can move between cards, flag them, change between your hands and other parts of the game...
I agree. Having branching paths of code for mobile vs desktop with everything else this is doing probably isn't worth the effort.
The only thing I might change, is the "?" could be an "(i)" Information icon. This lines up more with common UI standards.
Not worth it just for this change, but if you are doing a deployment anyway, this could be tacked on.
cigma

Post by cigma »

le7337 wrote: 12 March 2023, 17:05 The only thing I might change, is the "?" could be an "(i)" Information icon. This lines up more with common UI standards.
I am not sure if I agree with you on this. For people of other languages / alphabets, the "?" could be easier to understand than an "(i)" Information icon. Also I know one other game on BGA which has a similar question mark for detailed infos (7 Wonders Architects). So maybe this can become some kind of a standard on BGA.

Which other games have a "click for pop up" and what do they use?
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
inudog

Post by inudog »

I understand branching UI for desktop/mobile is awful. But as a non-English user having to click the ? icon for every card to read the translated text is so painful that makes me hesitate to introduce this game to my friend, even if the translation to my language is done. Is there any other option to mitigate?
bennygui

Post by bennygui »

When you click on a "?", ou can click on arrows to navigate left and right in you hand, so you don't have to click on each card.
Meszudo

Post by Meszudo »

Thanks for doing this implementation! It took me nearly the end of the game to realise clicking on the ? shows up the card information - but very happy I can go left / right and click on links to go quickly to board vs tableau etc.

I can see the advantage of this over the hover tooltip for mobile, so not too fussed.

Return to “Earth”