Re-translate approved tutorials - exception from rule?

BGA localization discussions
tintenklexs

Re-translate approved tutorials - exception from rule?

Post by tintenklexs »

I know that once approved translations can only be changed for 0 points and if I have played the game a couple times etc.
However, often when I try to learn a new game via tutorial, I notice bad translations right away. For example, a very common occurence is that the tutorial refers to a part of the game wrong. (E.g. it will ask you to "move your piece" while the game refers to those pieces as "knights" or something of the kind).
I often feel like tutorial translations lack the quality of the game translations and that just makes entry to new games a lot harder. However, there seems to be a conundrum. By the time I qualify for corrections (=have played the game often enough), I will not need the tutorial anymore and most likely have forgotten about it. I feel like this just helps contribute to the endless circle of tutorials never getting the needed attention and it*s pretty frustrating to me. My language is German and the website is generally very well translated, but I find bigger mistakes in almost every tutorial I play.

Is it possible to think about an exception to the rules around changing approved translations for tutorials? I feel like when the mistakes are that obvious, you shouldn't need all the game expertise to correct them...
What additional steps can be taken to rise the level of quality for tutorials?
fruktansvärt

Re: Re-translate approved tutorials - exception from rule?

Post by fruktansvärt »

tintenklexs wrote: 07 March 2023, 09:14 By the time I qualify for corrections (=have played the game often enough)
when you have enough validated translations, you can translate all games.
i think it's 100 validated translations, and having been a member of BGA for 6 months? something like that.
cigma

Post by cigma »

tintenklexs wrote: 07 March 2023, 09:14 Is it possible to think about an exception to the rules around changing approved translations for tutorials?
I don't think BGA will do that.

Of course, only a part of the players of a specific game use the tutorial, because the others already got to know the game in other ways (for example, through live play, through a video or on BGA before the tutorial was published). Besides, you usually watch a tutorial only once, while you probably play the game more often. Consequently, these translations are far less likely to be reviewed within 30 days than the translation of the game itself.

In addition, we have recently received a flood of new game applications, so that the translators can hardly keep up.

So maybe the waiting time for tutorials as being approved should be prolonged? But on the other hand, translators might not want to wait even longer for their gift points. I'd like to hear the opinion of other translators on this subject!
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Nastaa

Post by Nastaa »

tintenklexs wrote: 07 March 2023, 09:14 Is it possible to think about an exception to the rules around changing approved translations for tutorials? I feel like when the mistakes are that obvious, you shouldn't need all the game expertise to correct them...
cigma wrote: 08 March 2023, 04:15 Of course, only a part of the players of a specific game use the tutorial, because the others already got to know the game in other ways (for example, through live play, through a video or on BGA before the tutorial was published). Besides, you usually watch a tutorial only once, while you probably play the game more often. Consequently, these translations are far less likely to be reviewed within 30 days than the translation of the game itself.
Very good points.

I think there is great variability between games though and maybe also between languages. I feel for example that the strings for a tutorial of a very popular game are checked way more often than even the main strings of a less popular game or/and in a language with less users. So for me the issues are:
1) some strings are not often reviewed so get validated without being carefully reviewed, which in part causes issue 2.
2) mistakes that are obvious in validated strings (especially when you see them in context) are not necessarily easy to correct because of permissions.

Therefore, to prevent 1) for happening I think we would need something to identify less frequently reviewed strings in general rather than having special rules for tutorial strings. I would find it helpful to quickly know by game if translated strings are just being translated by one player and worth having someone else have another look, or if there are already a great amount of players who checked and contributed to these strings in case they probably don't need me and I will go check only if I notice something weird. I don't know if that could be done automatically where the number of people checking a string is counted, or if it would be possible to have a button where once you check a string you can say "checked", or maybe keep up in the translation center the games where multiple strings have been translated for the first time. Or maybe just more organisation and communication between translators (this option is not requiring any change in the website).

Then, for the validated translations, I think it would be great to have the same suggestion feature that is used for the English strings available for all the validated strings. And maybe that any translators that can modify validated translations can also accept or refuse the suggestions in their language (otherwise I can imagine that might be too much work for the admins, especially that the suggestions would not necessarily be in a language they know).
cigma wrote: 08 March 2023, 04:15 So maybe the waiting time for tutorials as being approved should be prolonged? But on the other hand, translators might not want to wait even longer for their gift points. I'd like to hear the opinion of other translators on this subject!
I would not mind if the waiting time for approval of (some) strings would be prolonged. But then how much time? And what about mistakes in strings that are validated?

I'm curious to know what other translators think about these topics too.
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

Hi,

I think the translation page, that lists all the games, is not very helpful.
It would be cool to have a button to sort the games by "new translations added/modified".

That way, we would have the games with the most recent updates at the very top of the list.
Mr_yoso

Post by Mr_yoso »

tintenklexs wrote: 07 March 2023, 09:14 I know that once approved translations can only be changed for 0 points and if I have played the game a couple times etc.
However, often when I try to learn a new game via tutorial, I notice bad translations right away. For example, a very common occurence is that the tutorial refers to a part of the game wrong. (E.g. it will ask you to "move your piece" while the game refers to those pieces as "knights" or something of the kind).
I often feel like tutorial translations lack the quality of the game translations and that just makes entry to new games a lot harder. However, there seems to be a conundrum. By the time I qualify for corrections (=have played the game often enough), I will not need the tutorial anymore and most likely have forgotten about it. I feel like this just helps contribute to the endless circle of tutorials never getting the needed attention and it*s pretty frustrating to me. My language is German and the website is generally very well translated, but I find bigger mistakes in almost every tutorial I play.

Is it possible to think about an exception to the rules around changing approved translations for tutorials? I feel like when the mistakes are that obvious, you shouldn't need all the game expertise to correct them...
Having recently started translating on BGA, I have found that it is harder to consistently translate tutorial as there is often context missing. For example a string might say "then they move here", to which I ask, they who? The piece? The player? The marker? Not sure how to make it easier to get the context?

Maybe there could be an option to see the string before and after? I know that the translation strings are usually in order, but sometimes they are already translated and don't show up in order.
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

When you translate a tutorial, open it in another tab to follow it and see what it is talking about, step by step : )
Nastaa

Post by Nastaa »

Mr_yoso wrote: 30 July 2023, 22:34 Having recently started translating on BGA, I have found that it is harder to consistently translate tutorial as there is often context missing. For example a string might say "then they move here", to which I ask, they who? The piece? The player? The marker? Not sure how to make it easier to get the context?

Maybe there could be an option to see the string before and after? I know that the translation strings are usually in order, but sometimes they are already translated and don't show up in order.
As Blacktango wrote, following the English tuto in another table can help. Also 24h after translation, you can actually play the translated tutorial and check if something needs correction.

If I want the strings of tutorials to stay in order even if some are already translated, I usually filter the context by "tutorial" and keep all strings (translated and not translated), rather than just filtering to have only untranslated strings. Like this it is possible to check what is before and after.
Mr_yoso

Post by Mr_yoso »

Helpful tips, thanks both!
nonfatal_whale

Post by nonfatal_whale »

I apologize for the message is not quite on the topic. can I translate an already written manual from English into another language?

Return to “Translations”