Can we Have Option for Block/No Blocking Games for People Who Hate SABOTAGE Players?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Photios

Re: Can we Have Option for Block/No Blocking Games for People Who Hate SABOTAGE Players?

Post by Photios »

Blocking is a good strategy only in 2 player games. In multi player games, it's not easy to block someone, so it's mostly a matter who claims the required route first. In such games, players that block each other (deliberately or not) will not win. However, one might block somebody just for the sake of being 3rd rather than 4th, which is legitimate.
Even more, in 2p games, you may block only someone who is playing naively, namely getting many tickets and claiming routes thinking that opponent will just claim their own routes and stay out of their way. If you like such a mode, just pick up 3 tickets, add the score, and the one with more points is declared the winner, and off you go for another fast and furious game of luck called "adding 3 TTR tix".
Of course this would be the way of playing with your children as they would whine by losing this way (I say that from personal experience). Just apply the way mrmagic suggested.
Otherwise it's offensive to call names to players for aptly using the rules.
thg0724

Re: Can we Have Option for Block/No Blocking Games for People Who Hate SABOTAGE Players?

Post by thg0724 »

Photios wrote: 25 December 2022, 17:34 Blocking is a good strategy only in 2 player games.
I think you are wrong. Interference (blocking) can be very effective in three player games.
Photios

Post by Photios »

I never play 3 player games, so I didn't consider this at all; 3 player is indeed a blocking feast
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

Photios wrote: 25 December 2022, 17:34 Of course this would be the way of playing with your children as they would whine by losing this way
I'd never play like this with my children tbh. I mean, I would on the first games, of course, to let them get confident with the game, but I don't think making the game easier by default is a good way to educate them. I'd always try to offer them the hardest challenge possibile, compatibly with their age/potential, teaching them how to prevent/react to adversities. I want my children to be able to fight for their victories, not to be whiny inepts used to get free wins. It's just a game, but I believe it's a good lesson for life too.

I fully agree on the rest you said

Return to “Ticket to Ride”