Players taking forever to place cubes in the production phase

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Vjekoslav_Nemec

Players taking forever to place cubes in the production phase

Post by Vjekoslav_Nemec »

Hi all,

Ever since the Wonderful World game came out here on the boardgame arena, I have been completely hooked and have played more games in the last three months than I probably should have (especially after jumping onto the Arena grind). And even though the whole journey has been a fantastic experience and I really enjoy the community and the implementation of the game, one thing that has been frustrating me a lot is people taking forever to place the cubes in the production phase.

I understand the input of the cubes is sometimes not registered due to the occassional glitches in the interface. I also understand people sometimes want to think/reconsider whether they want to produce/send to empire. But honestly, given the amount of games where people casually take 1-2 minutes to place the cubes on a card in the production phase even when there is only one obvious choice is too large to be explained purely by the glitches in the interface or the necessity to think.

I have had several people openly admit they are simply alt-tabbing/doing other stuff - and someone even said they are also working while playing the game. I understand this can happen once or twice during a game (sometimes I have to take a bathroom break or make coffee in the middle of it), but when someone is consistently doing it every single round of every single production phase, I personally think it is just plain rude. I guess I find it hard to understand why you would start a game where you already know you will be distracted and forced to alt-tab throughout it to begin with.

Note that I am not complaining about people taking their time in the drafting/planning phase. We all know this is a very deep and complex game and that calculating all the possibilities and considering all the options takes time. But when you are producing two black cubes and have Zepellin on the table and it is obvious you are going to place them there, I really don't see why it would take 2 minutes to do so every single turn.

I am aware I am probably taking this game way too seriously and that my competitive nature took over while grinding for Arena. I would, therefore, like to hear opinions of others and perhaps appeal to the players to refrain from indulging in this practice.

Thanks and keep enjoying the game!

Best

Vjeko
RicardoRix

Re: Players taking forever to place cubes in the production phase

Post by RicardoRix »

You have the option of a personal red-thumb.

I am guessing that you're over exaggerating the problem. You might from time to time come across a player like this. But ultimately there is not much you can do against this behaviour. The turn time is hard baked into the BGA framework, you're not likely to get that changed.
Palapapa

Post by Palapapa »

this is more of a general issue for every game.

BGA allows too much time bank recovery every move. Opponents can spend like an hour if they use their whole time bank every move and can still say "I am allowed to do so".

Change settings to "fastplay" isn't a solution as you may need a legitimate one time few minutes of thinking for a big decision or if you have a lot of things to do in one round like a big cristalization in the game Seasons.

Recovery of time bank should be reduced to the minimum to prevent not being able to kick very slow players off the game.
Malard

Post by Malard »

Couple of improvements I think would help.

If there is no where for a cube to go on your mat, it should send them to empire automatically (there is no other move allowed)

The warning at the end of round 4 for unspent red cubes should be ignored if
A) there is no card left to place them on
B) that even if placing them on the remaining card it will not complete the card.

If there is no production for a cube color but there is an option to place a General or Investor on a card but it will NOT complete the card, then this option should also be skipped.

This would relieve I think a number of slow downs when people have consciously gone, oh i just need to wait till X color round and instead focus on something else or even stare into the middle distance!
Panthergirl

Post by Panthergirl »

Malard wrote: 18 April 2023, 20:17 Couple of improvements I think would help.

If there is no where for a cube to go on your mat, it should send them to empire automatically (there is no other move allowed)

The warning at the end of round 4 for unspent red cubes should be ignored if
A) there is no card left to place them on
B) that even if placing them on the remaining card it will not complete the card.

If there is no production for a cube color but there is an option to place a General or Investor on a card but it will NOT complete the card, then this option should also be skipped.

This would relieve I think a number of slow downs when people have consciously gone, oh i just need to wait till X color round and instead focus on something else or even stare into the middle distance!
These are great suggestions and I hope the developers check this forum from time to time!

I'm a fairly new player so I've been worried about playing real-time games because it still takes me awhile to make decisions and calculate what order I should do what. I've started playing turn-based games to give myself more breathing room, but then sometimes i don't remember what my strategy/plan was! Enter: the NOTES FUNCTION. Now I make notes in the game as to which cards I'm trying to build and which I drafted for resources, or which cards to try to draft at the next opportunity.

This is a great way to get more familiar with the game/cards and hopefully I'll be able to play real-time games comfortably soon.
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Developers do read the forums once every few months. There are already options available to skip prompts for cubes you can't use.
Fletcheese

Post by Fletcheese »

Kayvon wrote: 12 May 2023, 16:53 Developers do read the forums once every few months. There are already options available to skip prompts for cubes you can't use.
Developers are generally some of the most active participants on the forum. But this is the wrong place to post suggestions for a game. Use https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=0 instead. If it's a general suggestion, then the table number just needs to match any instance of the game you're opening it for.
LadyRae

Post by LadyRae »

I have played this game several times. And it freezes alot. I know it's not my internet. I've played where I had public internet too. I love this game since it came out. But my rati g has dropped sooo much because of this game. I don't think I'm going to keep playing this one :twisted:

Return to “It's a Wonderful World”